Bike just......died.

Pattymatts

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Sup guys, seems like I'm always having electrical problems, I hate it. Well anyways, on to the story and why I'm here asking for help.

Riding to get a haircut the other day, shifted to 3rd and just lost power. Tried cycling my kill switch, maybe I hit a bump and it jumped to the off position. Popped the clutch, no start. Pulled to the side of the road, started looking the bike over. Noticed that neither of my lights would turn on, so immediately thought my ground popped off, but the ground was still connected. So I'm thinking my switch is stuck closed, maybe the positive pole broke. Still need to read it out with a meter, but just wanted to know what y'all thought about it.

Details on my bikes electrical system. 1981 XS650. Stock charging system(HHB PMA next purchase), stock regulator/rectifier, TC Bros 6-pin CDI harness, battery and only a headlight/brake light. Keyless, All operated by one master switch.

Attaching pictures of my electrical box.

P.s. I did not wire this bike, but I'm thinking I need to rip it all out and do it myself.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 232
Wow!

up above there is a tab XS650 Tech, under that is articles one of which is electrical.

the last three items in that section would be a good place to start reading.

most likely a charging issue,

then look for ignition issues if you have no spark, after you are sure the charging looks okay or at least the battery is reading 12volts at the battery terminals.

volt meter is a must have!!!

good luck!

Back