Bike loses all power in gear...

VonFuct

Lower Class Leather
Reaction score
Okay, so what would cause my bike to suddenly stop running under load? I was having a problem getting it start which turned out to be a stator wire had been ground down and severed. I soldered in a new piece and wrapped it up, it started up and rode fine. Then I had an incident with the bike vibrating over (kickstand wasn't fully forward) and took a little lay down. Broke my brass clutch lever but it functioned well enough to get me to work and back. Then the following day I replaced the clutch lever and did a once over, everything looked fine. She started up first kick, idled fine as I geared up and then once I hit the street.... nothing. As soon as I put it in gear and under load it just sputters, coughs, loses all power, pops and backfires. Oh, it's a '78 XS650, open pipes, single (piece of shit) BS38, Pamco Ignition, HHB PMA, capacitor. Now mind you it's been running, albeit rich, for the past few months. So what would cause this sudden change; timing, fuel issue, electrical?

Whats the condition of your battery? Sum crud might have gotten into the carb after to tip over

The gas cap might not be venting after it fell over and gas got in the cap. Or other fuel delivery problem similarly caused by the bike falling over. Although, I don't know why it would have waited a day.
Clean your plugs. Clean the carb.

I agree with 3g...start with the basics, A Bike needs Fuel, Spark, and Air.. Eliminate them one at a time. My hunch is something electrical after having the Stator wire short out.
Have you checked the fuse? can you start it on Idle now? or is it dead?

Careful with the pamco never leave iggy on with motor not running don't crank without both plugs on the wires and grounded.
Orion has it, gotta be fuel or spark I'll assume you're still breathing......

Back