bike lurches

If the lurching, etc. stops after the clutch is fully let out and first gear engages solidly and doesn't jump out of engagement, the problem is in the clutch and has nothing to do with the shift forks.

Could be darned near anything from a sticky front brake to bad gas to a bad chain.

When I put the bike into 1st gear. Then let the clutch out, and give it gas. It lurches,surges and jumps when I take off. Some say it is a bent shift fork. Others say clutch trouble HELP?

Hi barr toy,
some are talking through their hats and others should ask about the condition of your clutch cable.
Only in 1st BTW? What about other shifts?

Start with the basics... cable.. dry...? .. fray'd.. also the engine clutch cover... when was the last time it was serviced.. it lives in a dirty.. grimy environment... while look'n at the cable... ck the bar lever while you'r at it... the lever round hole after time is a large oval hole with a worn shoulder'd bolt.
Yr, model and mileage will help us with your issue. Thanks...

I think we need more of a description of what the machine is actually doing....
by lurching, I assume that you mean, it pulls extra hard then stops pulling , then pulls hard again......
like missing teeth in first gear would do......
or front sprocket completely wore down and missing teeth.... have you checked the condition of the sprockets and chain ?
Bob........

I think we need more of a description of what the machine is actually doing....
by lurching, I assume that you mean, it pulls extra hard then stops pulling , then pulls hard again......
like missing teeth in first gear would do......
or front sprocket completely wore down and missing teeth.... have you checked the condition of the sprockets and chain ?
Bob........
Hi Barry. It is a 79 special. It only happens in 1st gear. The ft and rear sprocket are good. And yes it does feel it is missing teeth or it is trying to be in two gears at the same time. Some history, when I first got it years ago it would jump out of 2nd gear sometimes. A new shifter fixed that. If I try to ride through it the whole bike feels like it is fighting itself. Until I shift in to 2nd then every is fine. Its just in 1st gear. Thanks Barry

Check broken springs on the shift mechanism just behind the clutch basket also check the centering of the pawl on the star wheel.

imag1979-jpg.14474

gggGary that is a Perfect Photo of a broken spring ! LOL
when your good, your GOOD !
Bob......

Back