Black Gold....Texas Tea....

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a question about oil. In the specs in my manual it seems to say : "Oil exchange 2 lit" and then under it "Overhaul 2.5 lit". How much oil goes into the engine (It's dry now as I just rebuilt it)? 2 liters or 2.5 liters?
Also the specs recommend 20W40. Anyone have any thoughts regarding that? I'm in LA and summer is approaching, but I don't know if that's a consideration.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Thanks :)

Dave

Totally dry will probably take near that 2.5 liters. When you do a regular oil change, you never get it all out. That's why it takes less. Mine takes about 2 1/2 quarts for a change with filter cleanings. Dump 2 in and then start checking with the dip stick. Once you fill it to where you want it, start the engine, let idle for a minute or so, shut it down and check again. You'll probably need to add a bit more because it has been distributed to the top end and all the nooks and crannies.

Most of us run 20-50, especially when it's hot out.

And do this on flat ground with the bike on the center-stand.

Some people here will do it sitting on the bike holding it vertical, leaning over to check the dipstick.??????. My special is 60mm, over 2" for you northerners, off the ground when it is on the center-stand, would overfill it in my mind.

Back