Blew another ignitor box!!!! Help

Inked Monkey

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Alright everybody, I just blew my third ignitor box in my bike. I thought that maybe welding on the frame blew one, or not having enough air flow blew it, but I fixed that and got it running great and it still fried one. Smoke started coming out of the box and all. I'm getting discouraged and about ready to give up on it. What should I check?

It's an 80 motor and I used wiring diagrams from this site. I'm running a fuse block for all the important stuff and a pair of universal 12volt Accel car coils for the spark.

:wtf:
Thanks in Advance

Accel 8140 universal 12v coil. I just talked to a local shop and they told me to check the ohms. Can't find anything online so far.

Thanks

did you wire them up in series or parallel? (he asked, already knowing the answer)

Go get a dual tower coil. And a new ignitor, i guess.

I just split the wires into the separate coils. I have a wrecked Ducati Monster 600 that I could always take the coil off.

Inked,

This coil has a 1.4 Ohms primary. If you wired them in parralel, that would be 0.7 Ohms, which would fry the driver transistor in the ignitor box.

Well Crap! At least I already bought another ignitor box, guess I'll order a coil. Thanks pamcopete.

Inked.....,

The Green Monster #17-6810 has a 3.5 primary resistance which I don't think matches very well with the TCI box because the box does some magic with primary current control and is looking for 2.5 Ohms.

The #17-6803 coil would be a good candidate. It produces about 50,000 Volts and is a better match. Of course, you could pull out all the stops and go for the "Ultimate" coil #17-6903 which produces 82,000 Volts! You don't even need gas with that coil!! :laugh:

PS: I run the "Ultimate" coil on my '81/H. Here are some test results:

iridium.jpg

Note the 15% increase in mileage over the stock coil, which was a stock TCI coil. An increase in gas mileage means you will also get an increase in power because you're talking about a more efficient burn of the mixture.

Even better with the Iridium plugs. I personally did not believe I would get these improvements with the Iridium plugs, but I ran the tests over a couple of days up and down the same 30 mile highway run, filling up each time at the same gas pump. I think if I had pumped up the tires to 35 psi I could have done 70+ MPG.

Last edited:
Back