Blinker controller wire colors?

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know the colors of the wires going to the blinker control on the handle bars?

My blinkers were working intermittently, but now seem to have stopped altogether.

I have the switch suspected, but I don't know what wires are supposed to show a positive 12V when the switch is activated.

power comes to the turn switch on a brown/white wire, power goes out on a dark green and a chocolate wire.
Leo

There is a contact switch in the housing that is notorious for wires coming loose. At first it may work intermittently then when the solder joint gets enough corrosion or bouncing the joint won't make contact. When re-soldering it is easy to melt the plastic contact housing. It may pay to check it.
When the signal is activated it is either one or the other not both.

The dark green wire feeds power to the right side turns, the Chocolate feeds power to the left side turns.
If you have other color wires, those work with the self canceler.
Leo

Excellent info, thanks! I'll be chasing this electrical demon with a multimeter probably tomorrow. Had planned on it today but Mrs. CoconutPete scored last minute free tickets to the baseball game.

Back