blinkers stay solid

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Just getting the bike back together and have read a bunch of posts on this topic but hoping you can just confirm that I am on the right track. I have a 76 XS 650 that is mostly stock except it didn't have any turn signals. So I bought some aftermarket ones without thinking. Anyway now they won't blink they just stay on solid so I'm assuming that I need to check the following.

1) what watts are the new lights? (can I just add more lights until I get to the right wattage)
2) Is there a blinker stopper thing on this bike.
3) what next?

The wattage is not enough to make the flasher work, esp. true for LED. You would need to get an electronic flasher from a place like Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone. They are not cheap, as compared to the old style 552 flashers.:yikes:

The stock bulbs were 27 watts, the indicator bulb 3 watts. so 27x2+3=57 watts. Most after market lights use a 23 watt bulb 23x2=3=49 watts.
The stock flasher needs 57 watts of draw to function.
I think the 522 might work. They aren't as load sensitive.
The 522 is a two prong flasher, plug it into the stock flasher socket so the prongs go into the brwon and brown/white wires. The third, black wire won't be used.
Leo

Last edited:
Guys wondering if you can help. I've read the majority of the posts on the blinkers staying solid and want to see what advice you have. I have a mostly stock 76 650 that didn't come with any turn signals so I put on some aftermarket ones. The rear are*10 watt and front are 23 watt. When I wire them in they just stay on solid when I turn on the turn signal. Is this enough wattage to trigger the blinker relay? Does the 76 have one of those blinker check things that I need to remove?
- What else should I be checking?

That last post was from a different thread that was merged with the one.

Posted via Mobile

I'll try the 552 relay and see if that helps. I had boughtoneof those two prong relays and tried it but when I hooked it up i could hear it blinking ut it didn't affect the list. A few seconds later I pulled the relay off but it was extremely hot and case was warped from the heat.

Question
Do the blinkers stay solid if only one of the four bulbs is bad or is it for each side? left and right?

I had the same issue....went to autozone today and bought the 552 electric relay and pluged it in and presto...signals now blink. It took me longer to figure out how to take the tank off than it did to switch out the relay :) (hey i'm new at this!!!)...easy fix cost about $8.

I'll try the 552 relay and see if that helps. I had boughtoneof those two prong relays and tried it but when I hooked it up i could hear it blinking ut it didn't affect the list. A few seconds later I pulled the relay off but it was extremely hot and case was warped from the heat.
Question
Do the blinkers stay solid if only one of the four bulbs is bad or is it for each side? left and right?
might have plugged it in wrong ... brown to black (ground).... needs to go brown to brown/white

yes 522 mechanical flasher won't flash if you have a bad bulb, the electronic flasher will

Attachments

• flasher.PNG
    flasher.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 352
If you use the 2 prong 552, you are cutting out the self- cancle unit. Thats where the third wire/prong goes to.

The self canceler started with the 77 D model.
On the lights with the 23 watt bulbs using a different flasher works. Adding the load equalizers isn't really necessary.
If you use LED's Adding the equalizers is counter productive. You use LED's to remove the high draw of the stock bulbs. Using the equalizers puts back the high draw. Don't make sense. An $8.95 flasher and chuck the canceler thats about usless anyway, Will be the better option. Just have to remember to turn the signals off.
Leo

The self canceler started with the 77 D model.
On the lights with the 23 watt bulbs using a different flasher works. Adding the load equalizers isn't really necessary.
If you use LED's Adding the equalizers is counter productive. You use LED's to remove the high draw of the stock bulbs. Using the equalizers puts back the high draw. Don't make sense. An $8.95 flasher and chuck the canceler thats about usless anyway, Will be the better option. Just have to remember to turn the signals off. Leo
nyah every one likes the guy that drive four miles with his blinker going:doh: or you can get one of these $3.50 RS buzzers wired into Brown/White turn relay wire and brown, tuck it in up by the speedo/tach

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102817

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Speaking of which, I was following a woman in a Camry, and the left blinker was on for about 5 mile's. I pulled up next to her and asked if she knew that the signal was on. She looked at the dash and said, "Oh, How do I turn it off?" I told her that the lever ont he left is the control. She looked at me with disgust and blurted out, "Well, where do I hang my pocketbook?"

Back