blown regulator? need some input.

perkinja

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
so i believe my regulator is broken. I've tested the diodes in both directions on the rectifier and they're
what they should be. I started the bike using a power supply I own and I can turn the supply off after 30 seconds and it will stay running but when I measure the voltage coming from the regulator before everything it reads 5v at idle, if i give it throttle it will go up and not go over 14v but when I let go it drops back to 5.

The bike won't start unless I have an outside source about 10v but it stays running if i take it out. The reg/rec is from hugh and I'm using a capacitor in place of the battery.

tested the resistance between them and they are all within spec but when I went to test them between ground I got the same result. that's the only thing that's got me puzzled.

when i test between each wire I get .7 .7 and .8. When i test from each yellow wire to ground it should say OL but I'm getting the same reading .7 .7 and .8.

Okay, that's it, the PMA windings are shorted to ground.
You could pull the unit and inspect the soldered connections per Hugh's suggestions...

I'm pretty sure this thing is done. All the resin on the windings looks to be gone and they are all extremely loose and can be moved around . The three yellow wires that come in to the windings are fine but they are so loose they are touching each other.

Attachments

• 1460932358356.jpg
    1460932358356.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I think i got one of the bad batch ones, there is nothing holding the windings together haha.

Does anyone know of a stator that will fit inside his flywheel and mount to the bracket he sells?

I'm pretty sure this thing is done. All the resin on the windings looks to be gone and they are all extremely loose and can be moved around . The three yellow wires that come in to the windings are fine but they are so loose they are touching each other.

Yeah, that definitely looks like one of the bad stators we had due to improper solder.

Email me, we'll take care of you for sure.. :thumbsup:

Anyone else who may be in need, here is a good write-up on checking your System, not just ours, but all PMA systems :bike:

http://www.hughshandbuilt.com/2016/03/07/how-to-inspect-and-test-your-pma-system/

I think i got one of the bad batch ones, there is nothing holding the windings together haha.

Does anyone know of a stator that will fit inside his flywheel and mount to the bracket he sells?

There used to be an entire list available for Stators that would work with the swap, but either way, we'll make sure to take care of you.

Check this thread http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6604

everyone deserves the weekend off, but if it wasn't for your tech write up on how to test it i would still be thinking i had a short somewhere lol.

Hugh responded to me Monday and shipped me a whole new kit and got it today, put it in and bam thing started up right away. Can't praise this guys customer service enough.

Back