Bobber/Chopper rear fender size recommendations

B Burdine97

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Good evening guys. I'm in the midst of building a bobber/chopper with a tc bros hard tail. I am curious what width size rear fenders other guys are running on their bobber or chopper builds. I will be running a stock size tire on a 16 inch mag wheel (130/90/16 / MT90-16). I am having difficulties deciding if I want a 5" wide or 6" wide fender and trying to decide which one looks best on the stock tire size rear wheel. I would like to get some other peoples opinions on what they size they are using. As always, pics are a great bonus!

IMG_0014.JPG
If you wanna go cheap and have it, just use the stock front fender. If not, the 5" or 6" will look best depending on what seat, sissy etc you go with.

For reference, stock rear wheel with stock front fender.

I think a good look for a 16in rear wheel is a 1936 Ford spare tire cover. It is strong, has a nice rib down the center and can be found at auto flea markets or Ebay. A full spare tire cover can easily make two chopper fenders.
tim

Going to be a matter of personal preference on the fender size man. I prefer just a bit more of wrap arround both sides of the tire and went with a 6in. for my build. Keep in mind, 5 or 6 in. You're still going to have to shave in the left side for proper chain clearance. Obviously more shave on a 6 than a 5.

It all depends on the profile you want. If you just want to cover the tread, do like Figureaight said. If you want to wrap the tire you have to go 6" to have side clearance. I believe the stock rear was 5-5 1/2", but never came close to the sides of the rear. To hug the fender on a chop you'd need the extra clearance of a 6".

I think a good look for a 16in rear wheel is a 1936 Ford spare tire cover. It is strong, has a nice rib down the center and can be found at auto flea markets or Ebay. A full spare tire cover can easily make two chopper fenders.
tim
I agree the spare tire covers are chopper classic. I started off with one on my project but found the one I had to be a little thin for a fender mounted taillight. This was shortly after my first ride in 2012. It was great to have it rolling down the road under it’s own power.

2013_06_06_xs650_01.jpg

Currently I am running the 6-1/4" Wide Spun Steel Bobber Fender by TC Bros Choppers and I loved working with it. Nice stout fender and just wide enough around my 130/90-16 tire and enough side wall to please my eye. I started with a sissy bar but since moved to a Mako taillight and simple strut hoop welded to the fender.

20140901_00.jpg

20140901_01.jpg

20161016_173527.jpg

20161028_162742.jpg

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! Figure8 and forty 4, Nice looking bikes guys! Figure8 do the bars in your pictures happen to be zombie performance squid bars? I've got a set of them on order.
Thinking I might go with the 5inch fender.. I'm going for more of a 70s chopper so I think that might be more appropriate.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! Figure8 and forty 4, Nice looking bikes guys! Figure8 do the bars in your pictures happen to be zombie performance squid bars? I've got a set of them on order.
Thinking I might go with the 5inch fender.. I'm going for more of a 70s chopper so I think that might be more appropriate.
No, mine are from Jump Street Customs. Post some progress up soon!

Well I like those bars! Mine from zombie performance will be similar.
And will do! If you look in my albums I have one album for this build which I try to keep updated.

Back