Bogs AT 4000rpm

Edgewood RI

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My bike sat for a year or two as I had no time. The last thing I did to it before i let it sit was I installed a PMA charging and Pamco.
Also it used to have a dunstall exhaust with no baffle inside, essentially a straight pipe. Seemed to run ok. While doing the PMA and Pamco, I also got a Emgo Dunstall replica exhaust. I brought it to a guy who works on xs 650's in his spare time, to have him finish off the PMA and Pamaco installation.
So it runs good, but over 4000RPM it bogs down. Voltage is great, timing seems good.
Could it be the new exhaust?
The repair guy thinks I need Heiden Dyno Tune Needle & Jet Kit for Mikuni BS34 CV carbs kit from Mikes. I do have pods and they were on before.

Edgewood,

When you say that the voltage is great, did you check it at 4,000 + RPM? Are you running a battery or a capacitor? Which PAMCO do you have?

Around 14.5 Vots at 4000rpm Pamco Pete, that one. The newer version with out the coper.
Using Battery

Last edited:
Don't do the Heiden needle kit unless you have their 2-1 exhaust, they were developed to work together.
My vote is for the change in the exhaust. adding the mufflers throws a completely different pressure/vacuum signal back into the cylinders and can throw your carburetor jetting way off. I just had the same thing happen going from a Cherry Bomb (straight through glasspack) to a chambered/baffled type muffler. going to have to tweek your jets. maybe lower the needles a notch, or get the Canadian needles if you don't have that notch.

shot in the dark here it could be a multitude of issues but lets say your timming right you have good electrics and all that....old fuel issue or the main jets... changing exhaust can make you run rich as in my case .... have you got ajustable needles in the carbs plungers some needles have a set of 5 notches at the top.... the top being the leanets setting and the bottom the richest. you just move the small circlip to change the settings. be carfull not to damage the needles. have you got an air leak on the rubber mounts or even slit or cracked diaphrams on the needle Jet and plunger assembly ...remember Canaidian needles and imulsion tubes are designed to run rich.
if you plugs are black and sooty your rich.... at 4000 you are basically opening the middle to high running circuit seems like your idle circuit is fine but the pilot jet serves the main jet and imulsifier with air. just play with one circuit at a time check your needles they may be wrong.your plugs will tell you if your running rich or lean.... ride the bike without going over 4000 round your block stay near base clean plugs befor setting off go around do a coulple of mile then check plugs. adjust needles to what your plugs tell you then clean plugs go again then try over 4000 to see if it any better ....i am no expert but based on what i have been doing with mine this may help it is a labourious process write down any changes you make .... cause and effect is the name of the game here record initial setting and any adjustment this is imprtant but the fundementals have to be done first clean carbs.jets theres a thread on that in tech section best of luck

Around 14.5 Vots at 4000rpm Pamco Pete, that one. The newer version with out the coper.
Using Battery

OK. Probably not the PMA, but just to eliminate it completely, try running on just the battery with the PMA regulator unplugged. This test is simpler than going over the possible theory of how or why the PMA can interfere with the ignition.

Is it OK to run the bike with the PMA disconected?

No, of course not! That's why I recommended it....:banghead:

Here is a list of other possibilities:

1. Low battery / charging system. A low battery will produce a low ignition voltage at the plugs which is most evident at higher RPM's.
2. Timing. Did you use a timing light to set the timing?
3. Stuck or no advance. When checking the timing with the timing light, did you check for maximum advance at 3,000 RPM.
4. N/A
5. Fouled plugs. Did you install new plugs? Check them after you got it running?
6. Plug wire not making contact in the coil. Measure the resistance from plug cap to plug cap to ensure that both plug wires are making contact in the coil.
7. Brakes dragging.
8. Tach out of calibration. Revs are actually higher.
9. Tire pressure. Pump up to 32 PSI for high speed.
10. Drive chain too tight. That will rob you of power to the rear wheel.
11. Enricher plunger stuck partially on.
12. Enricher (choke) left on or partially on.
13. Weak or loose advance springs. Weak or loose advance springs cause the advance to use up some of the available movement because you have to essentially retard the advance to get it on the idle advance mark, so there is less movement available at higher RPM's.
14. Timing chain needs adjustment.
15. Cheap or bad gas.
16. Low octane gas.
17. Water in the gas.
18. Partially blocked pet cock or fuel filter.
19. Paper filter that has low flow when the tank is not full.
20. Try a run with a full tank of high octane, fresh, expensive gas.
21. Blocked fuel cap vent.
22. Incorrect sprockets. What RPM are you getting at 60 MPH.
23. Rear tire rubbing on brake rod or swing arm.
24. High wind resistance. Are you a large person?
25. Throttle cable not fully opening the throttles.
26. Blockage in the muffler(s)
27. Dirty or blocked air filters
28. High altitude
29. Very hot air, like 95+F
30. Very cold air, like 32F
31. Low oil
32. Really dirty oil
33. Gas in the oil
34. Weak TCI magnet in rotor. Unplug Reg/Rect to test
35. Cracked carb boots.
36. Hole in carb diaphragm(s)
37. Cheap pods covering air hole in carb inlet

My dearest fellow Edgewood :doh:.....Pamcopete is the farther:) the creator the rector:D he is the god of pamco:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
On the first day he thougt of electronic ignition for the xs650 ,,,,,
On the second day he designed it ,,,,
On the third day he gather all manner of parts from all coners of his kingdom and he was pleased ,,,,,
On the fourth day he conected said parts before all around him.Great wisdom was witnessed that day. ,,,,,,
On the fith day he tested the pamco and he was pleased and the motorcycle Gods bowed before him .....
On the six day he blessed the xs650 community with his creation ending the frustrations of Points and condensers .....
On the 7 day he rested counting his money and contemplating the purchase of a small carebean island ....... He Knows .....:laugh::laugh: Oh yes he knows

Back