Boob tube stuff to defeat the winter...

My wife likes it when we watch shows together, sitting side by side. She likes the "ID" channel. Lots of what I call Husband killer shows. Lots of Netflix binge watching too.

La-Z-Cat.jpg

I have found that only watching pre recorded shows watchable... too many darn commercials ! if their pre recorded you can fast forward through them..... still a P.I.T.A. but better than staring at the wall ! .....
Bob....

Youtube is a better TV. Who'da dreamed when it started that amateur would outshine professional in quality! It has though. If you get tired of screens though, you can get a Syma quadcopter for about $40 that's amazing for the price.

But on youtube you can see the real thing, leaked by Chelsea Manning...

funnily enough we often watch many American programs on Sky like Gold Rush , Alaskan Bush people , Fast n loud, and my partner is a huge Western fan Macalan Bonanza, High Chapperal ,Gunsmoke, John Wayne movies etc . Gold Rush is a favourite and I frequently threaten to construct a small trammel & sluice and try my luck in some of the local rivers .;)

The classic bike series are brilliant too , Cafe Racer and Philly Throttle, great pity he decided not to do any more than three .

Love the Jesse Stone series and again we have the set and watch them regularly. Love the slow pace the lovely scenery the music

if you are looking for Brit Dramas I can thoroughly recommend the BBC Dramas 'Five Days ' and the sequel 'Five Days ll' multi stranded thriller murders with some great actors Edward Woodward, Hugh Bonneville Bernard Shaw, Suzanne Jones etc.
They are each a 5 part made for TV series and they are brilliant. You can buy the sets on DVD Bluray and if you like no-nonsense gritty, complex, tense, multi stranded thriller/ murder /dramas then you'll not be disappointed .

Marcella and New Marcella are excellent TV Murder crime drama series as is Collateral

Thanks Peanut!

Several weeks ago - ago the initial flurry of activity on this thread - I compiled my list and at random, selected Longmire to start. I really enjoyed it and finished the entire series fairly quickly.

We have now gobbled up all of the Still Game episodes that are on Netflix - and can't wait for the newest season to be picked-up. We tried watching it on a streaming service but a) we couldn't get the subtitles and so we missed a fair bit of the conversation and b) I am not comfortable watching pirated content.

Anyhow, I'll be working my way down the list over the coming year or so.

Keep 'em comin'!

Pete

I found a new one on Amazon Prime Video. It’s hosted by Eric Gorges (I believe of Voodoo Choppers in Detroit). It’s called A Craftsman’s Legacy. He interviews and works with true craftsmen of various trades and talks of how they are becoming lost arts. It’s interesting watching them create beautiful pieces by hand. Examples of craftsmen Interviewed are woodworkers, glass blower, masonary sculpture, saddle maker, gunsmith, blacksmith... etc.... I’m only half way through the series but find it very interesting.

With a generation of skilled trade workers on the verge of retirement there will soon be a huge void for plumbers, electricians, carpenters and the like. Most kids are choosing to go to college and take on enormous debt in student loans. I foresee the price of hiring a trade worker in the near future skyrocketing. Mike Rowe of the Dirty Jobs show gave a great congressional testimony regarding this issue. If you haven’t seen it, have a watch here. The man is well spoken and quite entertaining.

Very cool - and I totally agree with the premise of the shows: the value of the work of people who work with their hands. So many people go through the modern education system and never learn to actually DO anything.

What a waste.

EDIT: I just watched the Mike Rowe video again and he is, without a doubt - RIGHT-ON - and everything he said about the US applies equally to Canada and, I suspect to many other “advanced” nations.

Last edited:
this is kinda boob tube type stuff, ( press day NYC auto show last thursday, i-phone pics)
upload_2018-4-1_6-57-16.png

upload_2018-4-1_6-57-36.png

upload_2018-4-1_6-58-12.png

upload_2018-4-1_6-58-37.png

upload_2018-4-1_6-59-0.png

upload_2018-4-1_6-59-24.png

upload_2018-4-1_6-59-54.png

my favorite 550 horsepower F-Pace Jaguar

upload_2018-4-1_7-7-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-1_7-1-24.png
    upload_2018-4-1_7-1-24.png
    239.6 KB · Views: 195
There's an interesting show called "Person of Interest" that they show in reruns. I like to watch NCIS, original not spinoffs. Gibbs is a good role model for old men :)

New TV series. Damnation...............

Only seen the first episode, and if they can keep the quality up it will be a top show. For me any ways and i like different off beat stuff, but this isn't quirky.

Not going to say anything about it because that could lesson the impact of the first episode.............

I find it fascinating that a programme like Still Game is aired across the pond! It's one of my favourite comedies and, let me tell you, it is very very close to real life in Glasgow... :)
I don't watch a huge amount of TV although, like many of you lot, it is the time when me and my lass spend time together. Shetland, Peaky Blinders and Last Tango In Halifax were popular chez Zedhead, but we do watch a bit of American stuff, like Sin City Motors, Forged In Fire and Fast & Loud, although each has bits that appear false and seem like soap operas.
If you like Shetland, take a look for Broadchurch.

I've been looking through those train ride videos on youtube. Very interesting, This one is Switzerland.

Back