Bottom End Rebuild

STVR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I own a 1975 XS. I split my cases and replaced all of my oil seals in the bottom end. I put everything back together and torqued the bolts to the right specs in the right order. I also oiled my bearings everywhere. After I put everything back together I noticed that my crank was spinning not as free as it did before I ripped the bottom end apart. It seems to get tight when you spin it a few times. Everything looks in place bearings seem good, does any one know what this could be from? I also noticed my front drive chain sprocket now spins freely and I noticed before that it didn't do that. Did I not set my gears correctly or is it in neutral? This is my first bottom end rebuild, I am very meticulous about everything and follow my manual. But this one has me stumped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

u are either in nuetral, or put the dog in the wrong slot when u put the cases back together. to see if its in nuetral, put the shifter peg back on, and while spinning the drive sprocket, try to change gears. if it changes as it should, your all right. it wont shift unless you are turning the drive sprocket.
As for tightening up, if it gets tighter and tighter, i dont know, but if its just tighter than it was, thats alright. Becuase you replaced worn out stuff with new stuff(to be technical,lol).
This is why new engines use lighter oils. older engines use heavier oils to compensate for larger tolerances.
I had a 66 ford galaxie with a 352, it developed a rod knock, and went to 50wt oil, and quieted it rite down.
your probably fine. just nervous about your first build.

Angus,

Hey thanks for the reply, I will try that test tomorrow hopefully im just in neutral. If I did put the dog in the wrong place ill have to split the case again. You wouldn't happen to have any images to show how the dog/gears should be would you? I followed the manual and lined the gears as the photo showed, but im not really sure.

Steve

Angus,

So I decided to squirt a little oil in the oil seal and it turns much better. Also I put my shifter on and it seems to be shifting thru all the gears, thanks again!

Steve

Quick hijack question, when you split the case: how did you get the halves apart? I tried baking mine with a space heater and tapping with a rubber mallet, but nada. any tips? Places to tap?

good to here svtr.
i thought your bike was done, alfredo. did you start another one?
mine came rite aprt after I got all the bolts,nuts out.

Alfredo,

At the front of the engine there are two points that look like tabs on the case these are good points to tap the cases. I took a torch and heated up where the split is in the case all the way around, put a good amount of heat on it. Then I took a piece of very hard wood and a rubber mallet to those tabs on the front of the engine, tap those then also tap the rear of the engine with a rubber mallet use a soft one if you can. Just keep working around the case and it will give way. Patience and finesse with the mallet will split the cases. Good Luck!

Steve:thumbsup:

hi there to get the cases apart i get a stanley blade .put it in the joint belowe the head studs and tap gently with a hammer may need to put two in at opposit sides workes well for me

Quick hijack question, when you split the case: how did you get the halves apart? I tried baking mine with a space heater and tapping with a rubber mallet, but nada. any tips? Places to tap?

Did you get ALL of the nuts and bolts off? I think there are 18 total that have to be removed to get the halves apart. Check your manual (you are using one, right?). It will detail all the locations.

yes, the one behind the clutch has been known to catch a few!:doh:

Posted via Mobile

+1 on trying some prying. It's unfortunately all too easy to crack things by hammering on them hard. You wouldn't expect metal to be brittle but it makes a sound just like cracking ceramic when you hit the wrong thing. And the. You're cursing. And welding.

I agree GreasyC that's why I use a mallet and a block of wood
A little heat at the seam. My cases split fairly easy

Back