Bought 79 XS650, has non-shouldered 16/19 aluminum wheels? Please identify!

natek

XS Obsessed
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks in advance for the help in identifying these wheels. This is a 95% stock 1979 XS650... was missing seat and tank when bought a few days ago and has aftermarket drag bars. Other than that, all stock. Noticed right away the rear wheel looked to be aftermarket though seems to have correct amount of wear/patina as the rest of the bike which looks to have sat in the center stand for years. Grabbed the old magnet and NOPE... not standard steel wheels like I had thought. They also are not the shouldered aluminum 'rain catchers'... :wtf:

-Were the 'rain catcher' 18/19 sets the only spoked aluminum wheels from the factory?
-Were these wheels stock or aftermarket (maybe mikes?)

Bike now runs great but I was just wondering about these wheels... if they're an upgrade and I should keep them or if they're something I'm not aware of :shrug:. Thanks!!

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 291
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 334
Ah, thanks weekendrider... Would you consider these rare like a drum mag or an xs1 front drum 19"?

I would consider them rare and desirable, the only alloy spoked wheels ever fitted to a Special. I would re-spoke them with stainless spokes and polish them up real nice.

Back