1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Bought bike with no title, bill of sale, easiest way?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cafetools, Feb 13, 2019 at 10:00 PM.

1. cafetools

cafetools XS650 Addict

Utah
    I bought a bike several months ago and got a bill of sale ($500 purchase) no title. Owner was a retired fireman and I belive the bike was not stolen.

What's the easiest, quickest, cheapest and all around best method to get a title? The tricky part is that I already restored this bike and now it's worth thousands of dollars, if that matters. I did take pictures of all 4 sides before resto.

App for duplicate? Abandoned vechile?

2. xjwmx

xjwmx XS650 Guru Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    Call your DMV. A quick glance shows it's simple to get a title in Utah.

gggGary likes this.
  3. gggGary

gggGary Horsepower; just noise 'til the tire hooks up. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Good luck. Scary stuff investing money in a bike you don't really own...... Some states smell cash and don't care what you paid, base the "value" on blue book, $$$$$ales tax revenue. There's been more than one guy lost the bike after he was done fixing it up, when an :eek:riginal owner showed up. There's even rumours of a scam based on doing that...
    That said, I've done what you've done, Livin' on the edge. LOL.. Not a restoration but started with a $100 "parts only" hulk.
    DSCN3025.JPG DSCN3453.JPG
    DSCN3039.JPG DSCN3458.JPG

Mailman likes this.
  4. cafetools

cafetools XS650 Addict

Utah
    I know what you mean, I just kept putting this title thing off and wanted to work on restoring the bike... Big risk I knew it.

gggGary likes this.
  5. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I suggest stopping in to your local DMV, and ask to speak to a supervisor. With a forlorn look on your face, ask what could be done to get the bike on the road.

Jim likes this.
  6. What state are you in? In some it’s no big deal. I know Georgia doesn’t require a title at all. In some states, you can get a bonded title easily. In some, like Pennsylvania, the situation is impossible.

7. Machine

Machine Race the wind

Utah ? Cant be as bad as Washington.
    WA does like to tax imported vehicles. All of mine came across the river from Oregon.
    WA always gets its cut :thumbsdown:
    Good luck to you in Utah !

Brassneck likes this.
  8. 650Skull

650Skull Dogonit Top Contributor

YamadudeXS650C likes this.
  9. Brassneck

Brassneck XS650 Guru

I picked up a bike without a title for next to nothing. WA has a process, that's for sure, but other than being a bit tedious and time consuming...it's not all that bad depending on how you acquired the thing....if I recall correctly, the steps below outline a quick and dirty for WA state. (For me, I bought it from a guy who had found it on his property...no title, no interest in it...and couldn't be bothered...so I had to go the long route)

Step 1) Have the previous owner relinquish rights to the bike. (There's a form to do that. Send via certified mail w/proof of delivery)
    Step 2) Get either the form back signed and relinquished or Don't get it back and have receipt of delivery that it was sent:
    2a) If you get the form back, you can go straight to the DMV and get a new title...simple.
    2b) If you don't get the form, then take the receipt of delivery/failure to sign to the DMV, and they'll give you a form to take to the State Patrol.
    3) Make appointment w/State Patrol to have it inspected.
    4) Show up to appointment and they'll verify it's not stolen and has the required equipment to be road legal
    5) Take documentation from State Patrol back to DMV and they'll issue you a REGISTRATION and classify it as a "Title in doubt" which comes with a 3 yr. waiting period (For the previous owner to potentially claim it). No title is issued at this point.
    6) You can now ride the bike (legally), sell it, do what you want with it. For the next 3 yrs, it's as if you own it and when the 3 yr period is up, you apply for a title and it's yours.

No, not simple, but can be done without a whole lot of work. Assuming the previous owner doesn't come looking for it. In my case, VERY doubtful anyone is looking for it...so I wasn't worried.

gggGary likes this.
  10. 50 states. 50 different sets of rules.

gggGary and GLJ like this.