Boyer and Pamco Ignition

Peanut, warping doesn't happen with great frequency; I've only seen it once. But the timing plate shown warped enough for the rotor to contact the solder pads, and no, the rotor was not loose or improperly installed. The first Boyer ignition that I installed, back in the early 1990's, gave trouble free service for several years until the bike was destroyed in a crash. But the Boyer plate is not well supported in the timing housing,: a substantial part of the edge is left hanging in the breeze, the material could be more robust, and the photos above speak for themselves as to what can occur. Please internalize this: You do not learn it all from a single experience.

When i saw the pic, from that link in a previous post about the warping plate, it was obvious how this could happen...........Defiantly not from heat and a simple solution on how to solve the issue

When i saw the pic, from that link in a previous post about the warping plate, it was obvious how this could happen...........Defiantly not from heat and a simple solution on how to solve the issue

Definitely not defiantly ;) but then again.........:laugh2:

So lets see ....pcb has warped ........but its defiantly (sic) not caused by heat mmmmmmmmm:umm: maybe it was the cold ... yes thats it ...it was the cold that caused the plate to warp.

Edited to remove insulting comment

Last edited:
Not sure how the warping occurred and hopefully i do not find out on mine! I will say the boards are stronger than you would think. My mounting bolts vibrated loose and the board/contacts were struck a few times by the magnetic disc before i realized what had happened. Cleaned it up and reinstalled with some lock tight.... still runs like a champ!

looks like you were lucky to spot that before any damage occurred :)

As the Boyer ignition pcb board is enclosed without any air flow its likely to get quite hot .
With pcb boards that are likely to see operating environments with temperatures above Tg (glass transition temperature) greater than 170°C. a high Tg material is usually specified .

I don't think any engineer would expect any pcb board and electronic components to perform satisfactorily at a temperature that has clearly been used outside its manufacturers recommended operating temperature. ;)

No, peanut, you can't deny visible evidence, but that certainly doesn't stop you from trying.That engine was never overheated, and what is "clearly" the case is that you're trying to rationalize your way out of an aggressively stated but erroneous opinion. I recall one of your posts from years back; you asserted that timing a Boyer ignition with the paint mark was an accurate method because you set yours that way and the strobe showed it to be good. You've done one installation on one motorcycle and seem to think that makes you an expert.

I can't fault Boyer's instructions. They should be perfectly clear to any half literate person who takes the trouble to read them. Guys run into trouble when they fail to follow the simple direction to do the initial ignition setting with the timing marks at full advance.

Last edited:
No, peanut, you can't deny visible evidence, but that certainly doesn't stop you from trying.That engine was never overheated, and what is "clearly" the case is that you're trying to rationalize your way out of an aggressively stated but erroneous opinion. I recall one of your posts from years back; you asserted that timing a Boyer ignition with the paint mark was an accurate method because you set yours that way and the strobe showed it to be good. You've done one installation on one motorcycle and seem to think that makes you an expert.

I can't fault Boyer's instructions. They should be perfectly clear to any half literate person who takes the trouble to read them. Guys run into trouble when they fail to follow the simple direction to do the initial ignition setting with the timing marks at full advance.

I'm not going to waste my breath arguing with you because you're another arrogant know-it-all member who is always right about everything and likes to throw their weigh around the forum and flame other members.

I made the mistake of thinking that you posted in order to enter into an intelligent discussion in order that we might advance our knowledge about the Boyer ignition system but once again I should have known that like skull, your only intention was to flame a fellow member.

You say that the Boyer install instructions quote 'should be perfectly clear to any half literate person who takes the trouble to read them' which is a rather insulting remark to make about other XS650 owners .............

I'm not sure whether or not that jibe is aimed at me .........or at the eighteen thousand other XS650 owners around the World that have viewed my youtube Boyer video for guidance ..........many of whom have left grateful thanks.

My estimation of you as a valued fellow member of this forum has diminished considerably , not that you would care.
You were someone that I looked up to but now I realise that you are just like all the other ignorant people out there that try their damnest to spread their hate and create conflict and bad feeling every chance they get.

hey G I'm just like any other forum member that comes on here to chat to friends and learn what I can about our shared interest.:)

I didn't ask for Griz or Skull to post a criticism of me but they both take every opportunity to do so.

take a look at Grizld1 post and my response ....was I rude ? or disrespectful ,...? no ....I politely thanked him for posting the image and mistakenly thought that he was inviting open minded discussion but clearly once again I was wrong.

The fact is I know what they are boith like ....

this is why I NEVER EVER make a post on one of their threads and try very hard not to post on any threads that contain posts from eith of them .

If they were to offer the same courtesy then none of this could ever happen because we wouldn't be posting on each others threads .

All the time that skull and grizld go out of their way to post criticism of my posts they are going to get as good as they give me .
I'm not going to let these 2x (expletives) shove me around ,insult me and push me off this forum .

They certainly wouldn't try this behaviour to my face because they know very well how the outcome would be .........but they are like typical bullies they are cowards carefully hiding behind their avatars

Johnny

You accused me of "hiding behind an avatar" before. I'm Dick Russell, Carbondale, IL, USA, and quite a few of the contributing members on this side of the pond have ridden with me. Now who the hell are you, "Johnny"? If you can't man up and take what you dish out, at least shut up and stop whining.

Yea! Don't you know grizl'd is the expert among experts.
If he does not have the answer then there is none.
Just check out the defunct garage site, as the expert there he gave out all of the answers
needed and now has moved over here to set you all straight.

This is now an official Peanut know it all Boya thread.............Moderator refuses to stop peanut from posting abusive posts when asked...........Pamco is dead long live Boya

On another note, when did PAMCO go out of business? I purchase a coil and blue box that i thought was bad on my bike just a few months ago....

that really looks like a overheating problem. I have seen HEI Harley plates do that but on another note . I have had a Boyer in a 1969 BSA going on 25 plus years and looks as good as it did the first day I put it in on a buddy's bike. I have installed more Boyer Ignitions than Pamco's because Boyer has been around longer and I like them both. Now you want to talk about failing ignition how many of you have had a pickup on a DYNA go bad . I myself had a least 20 but again I still use them. My point is no matter what you use even if you use the knock off from MikesXS things fail and if you don't like a product keep your money in your pocket and run old time points.

I feel bored...

When I installed my Boyer I saw firsthand the issue with the PCB. It is thin and can be warped quite easily, but this is not really the PCB's fault. As mentioned before the mounting spacers are left hanging in air on their inner side because they straddle a step machined in the housing. The result is that if the mounting screws are put in too tight then the spacers tilt inwards and bow the PCB. Engine heat and time probably leads to the PCB becoming permanently warped. My solution was to make new spacers then mill a step into them to match the XS' factory machining so they seat without hanging in the air on the inner side. I think I got the idea from Grizld1's comment several years back. But if you lack a lathe/milling machine then simply do not over tighten the mounting screws.

I did Email Boyer regarding the paint spots and they informed me that placing them in the middle was just an initial setting to allow the engine to be started. Once started the true/final position had to be set using a strobe. The final position of the paint spot will also depend on how much retard you want to include for the fuel you use. My paint spots were slightly blurred, more of a line than a spot, so I can appreciate that sometimes an intial center position could work out just perfect on occasions.

I agree that Boyer do give good/quick feedback to enquires, but I do think they should redesign their spacers. Regarding voltages and Boyer ignition issues this is obvious when starting a bike that has been sitting a bit in the cold. The headlight, should it switch on during an initial failed attempt to kickstart, can pull the system voltage down low very quickly: This issue becomes more apparent if you use a 55/60W H4 bulb, but then the XS electric system is not well suited for these so I use the H4 35W bulbs. I removed this issue by adding an on/off light switch so that at startup the system voltage is very healthy.

On a more interesting note, today I had my 1st Burrito. Very nice!! Now 8 hours later those spicy beans are doing their magic...

On a more interesting note, today I had my 1st Burrito. Very nice!! Now 8 hours later those spicy beans are doing their magic...

Wow! There’s no going back now! Growing up in Arizona, we start eating burritos when we’re babies! Haha! :D
On the other hand, I had my first Sheppards Pie just a couple of days ago. Where have they been all my life? Yum!

When he got tired of Mike'sXS fucking him over. (ie: about a month ago)
That sucks! I hate to see any small business ran out. MikeXS does have a very “similar” product for about the same money. They also respond to customer emails though... Hard to compete.

Wow! There’s no going back now! Growing up in Arizona, we start eating burritos when we’re babies! Haha! :D
On the other hand, I had my first Sheppards Pie just a couple of days ago. Where have they been all my life? Yum!

Y’all making me hangry! Now i want a burrito and a Shepard’s pie......

Back