Boyer and Pamco Ignition

Yea hard to compete..........MikesXS was making a 20% mark up selling the Pamco at the same price as he is selling the XScharge ignitions, (That is what Pamcopete's discount was selling the Pamco's through his site after he was pushed out of Mikes), Decided to make more by copying the pamco and cutting out Pete..........The reality is, Mikes could sell their product for 10% less than their price now, and still make more than when they were buying off Pete.........

I recall how vehemently Pete defended Mike Lalonde's contracting Chinese knockoffs of Paul Thede's cartridge emulators and Michael Morse's exhaust inserts. It's a shame, though; Pete never sat back and rested on his laurels, he continually innovated and refined his product. His business closure is a loss to us all.

Paul, thanks for the mention, but I can't take credit for the modified Boyer standoffs. I might have referred you to it, but that was Goran Persson's good work.

Yes all that information was in the thread that also involved Peanut........This thread is what i was alluding, to about Gorans stand off, that Peanut has vehemently refused to listen to and then spewing hate on members because he can get away with it

Your very first burrito...at 39 years old? Paul, you really must get out more.

Any chance you could post a sketch of those mounting spacers for the Boyer?

Pete
These are from the link Skull shared. Can’t recall who’s they are but nicely done....

Attachments

• 077118ED-F77D-4834-B23C-57DD6D702B3C.jpeg
    077118ED-F77D-4834-B23C-57DD6D702B3C.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 277
  • EC9509F8-ECBD-4F6A-BEF6-59F7CCB635A1.jpeg
    EC9509F8-ECBD-4F6A-BEF6-59F7CCB635A1.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 56B21BF4-E339-433A-A023-642D217576E4.jpeg
    56B21BF4-E339-433A-A023-642D217576E4.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 261
Something tells me, peanut is just a troll. There is no way he can be serious. I mean it. Not trying to get arise out of anyone. He screwing with you guys! He has to be!

Something tells me, peanut is just a troll. There is no way he can be serious. I mean it. Not trying to get arise out of anyone. He screwing with you guys! He has to be!

Yea he is...........Post #26
http://www.xs650.com/threads/ignitions-which-is-more-accurate.51185/page-2

Um... Gary... Travis... cleanup on aisle 3.....
I reported and asked for this to be done yesterday.........Might be done now you've made a note of it
This is an official Boyer thread now as well.........

Last edited:
Arowan, thanks for relisting the photos. I think the spacers shown on a blue tarp background may be mine. They were made on the lathe with the same OD and ID as the originals. However, the length is based on the original plus an additional amount to allow for the step. I did not use a milling machine for cutting the step but just used a file. The step is half the diameter wide. The depth of the step was whatever I measured on the engine.

A suitable replacement spacer does not require a lathe. I used a lathe because I have one. I could have easily made them using a hacksaw, drill and file.

Last edited:
This is good info since many folks will likely be switching to Boyers now that PAMCO Pete has retired.

I wonder if the heat issue could be further addressed by making the spacers out of something like phenolic or teflon...or some other non-metallic stuff to reduce conduction from the cylinder head.

Pete

This is good info since many folks will likely be switching to Boyers now that PAMCO Pete has retired.

I wonder if the heat issue could be further addressed by making the spacers out of something like phenolic or teflon...or some other non-metallic stuff to reduce conduction from the cylinder head.

Pete

Grizd1 addressed the issue on heat causing the warp.......Stated there wasn't one.............That was peanuts assumption

Uh, not exactly, Skull. I mentioned that my particular engine hadn't overheated with that particular timing plate, which isn't exactly the same thing as claiming that engine heat couldn't be a problem.

I have just been revisiting some comments:
Yea! Don't you know grizl'd is the expert among experts.
If he does not have the answer then there is none.
Just check out the defunct garage site, as the expert there he gave out all of the answers
needed and now has moved over here to set you all straight.

So, tell me where this defunct garage site is? I am very interested and enjoy a good technical read.

Thank you.

These are from the link Skull shared. Can’t recall who’s they are but nicely done....
Excellent, ta.
I must have a look at my Boyer setup and see how well the plate has been installed and be ready to make some stand-offs if needed. There's never been a hint of trouble from it but it would seem it can run for long enough then start to play up, from what I read now.
What impresses the shit outa me is how the Boyer makes a cold engine idle rock steady. Obviously everything else is set up right,too, but I'm certain the ignitor plays a huge part in it.

Has anyone tried this MSD product before? Perhaps another option besides Boyer?

https://www.holley.com/products/marine_and_powersports/small_engine/parts/4217

It seems like it should work with the stock 80+ pick up. It's sold as an ignition for single cylinders but why wouldn't it work on a wasted spark 2 cylinder? My experience with MSD products has been they are bullet proof reliable.

Seen on a Norton forum were someone was running this ignition.

Back