1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Boyer Bransden ignition timing setting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXA Phoenix, Nov 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. GreasyC

GreasyC XS650 Addict

Now that I'm home from a stressful day I can't imagine why I ever cared whether people believe in magic numbers or not. Nobody is interested in what I'm saying so I'm just wasting space.

2. jay760

jay760 XS650 Guru

Not quite sure what the fuss is with the magic number the instructions clearly say rev the engine until the timing stops advancing, this is where to set the timing.

3. TXA Phoenix

TXA Phoenix TX650A Phoenix

Those are instructions for the Micro Digital System. I have the Micro Power Ignition system. It's instructions can be found here http://www.boyerbransden.com/pdf/KIT00303__BOX00210_.pdf

I get the weight and horsepower from this link http://www.clink.net/Kevin/specs.htm
    Wikipedia states it's weight at 450

4. TXA Phoenix

TXA Phoenix TX650A Phoenix

Let me put it this way and you should be able to come to an understanding of the system. Full advance can be set at various RPM's. Using a digital tachometer which works by counting firing off of a spark plug wire I could run the engine at precisely 3000 RPM then move the stator plate so that the marking on the rotor just comes up to align with the 40 degree BTDC mark on the stator. In fact it won't move past it. I could also run the engine at precisely 4000 RPM and move the stator plate so the marking on the rotor just comes up to align with the 40 degree BTDC mark on the stator. And of course I am using a strobe light to view this

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  5. grizld1

grizld1 Grumpy old man Top Contributor

Gee, I'm glad you explained all that; I've only been installing Boyer ignitions since 1994. As far as timing drill goes, the MP and the MD are the same.

6. blackbetty

blackbetty XS650 Junkie

I think we're getting trolled griz

7. 650rmw

650rmw XS650 Member

I think your right

8. The answers in there somewhere...... Blackbetty has the nod for me, thanks ....

9. The answers in there somewhere...... Blackbetty has the nod for me, thanks ....