Boyer Bransden Ignition Troubleshooting

Decker

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I finally got my 650 pieced back together and I've run into issues w/ the Boyer ignition that I have. Here are the details:

- 79 XS650 with reg/rec combo
- Boyer "blue box" micro power ignition
- The ignition system worked fine before. Since then, the bike has been sitting for a couple of months.

All wiring is correct.

Per the boyer trouble shooting guide, I have tested the ignition box by powering it and touching the B/W and B/Y leads together and I'm able to produce spark at the spark plugs.

I believe I've isolated the issue to the stator plate/magnetic rotor.

-The magnetic rotor seems to still be magnetized, but is it possible that the magnets are weak? I'm unsure of how the magnets and the coils on the stator plate interact. I'm assuming that when the magnets line up with the poles on the stator, then the circuit is closed causing spark to happen. Is this correct?

Another thing I did try was to hover the stator plate over the magnetic rotor to manually trigger spark. As long as the poles don't touch the magnets, then spark doesn't happen. If either pole makes contact with a magnet, then it creates spark. I'm fully aware that the poles are not supposed to touch the magnets.

I don't want to start dishing out money on random components or another ignition system if I don't have to (granted the Pamco system looks pretty straight forward).

Honestly, I'm just really confused as to what the issue is. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Decker

Posted via Mobile

Not sure if you got this squared away or not but I would imagine there are a few things to check before looking at the magnets.

First, make sure the battery is fully charged. I had issues when my battery dropped into the low 11 v range. Second test the coil. I know you were getting spark so it cant be fried but it might be on its way out. The primary resistance should be 0.6 ohms. The secondary should be 2.7k ohms. These coils have a bad reputation.

It might also be worth checking that you have a good ground connection for the ignition unit.

Assuming the magnets are bad, I have seen people run a screw driver over a speaker magnet to make the screw driver magnetic. I have no idea if its permanent but perhaps that could help you get your magnets back up to spec.

Exactly what symptoms are you seeing?

Back