Boyer Bransden schematic

phillycyclocross

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done some searching on here for a schematic for a Boyer Bransden ignition setup but haven't had any luck. I did find one post that had a ton of schematics but after reading 14 pages of different types of schematics I gave up. Does anyone have one they can put up?

Thanks

Maybe this'll help

XS650_batteryless_wiring-diagram.jpg

Just ignore the capacitor.

That does help thank you. Although it raises a few more questions. Like what is this? And how does this fit into that schematic?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 640
Not sure what that is. A relay of some kind? Could be the safety relay... You should also mention the year of the bike, not all years are setup the same. Assuming it's still stock.

At any rate that has nothing to do with ignition. For that all you have to do is pick the ignition hot wire (after key switch), should be red?, connect to input of Boyer, output goes to coils. Then signal wires go to/from the pickup in the points location. And ground of course.

Is your Boyer already on the bike but not working or are you looking to install one?

It's a '78 motor in a '75 frame. And I bought the bike already setup with this. It runs like a Champ but the wiring is horrible. No key, no ignition switch, no kill switch. You have to plug and unplug the electrical system to turn it on/off. The starter button is hot wired to always be hot. You have to stall it to stop the motor.

Basically it's all sorts of fucked up but while it's running it runs great. So I need to rewire it and I need a basic schematic to make heads or tails of what's there

Its your wiring then.

I think the bike could be a death trap, and i don't mean that to be nasty.

Start a thread of your own and post some pics of the bike and the wiring loom. Keeping it all in one thread makes it easier for us and you.

Is that the box bolted to the front of the battery box?. Looks to be the regulator

Thanks. I will do that.

As far as it being a death trap I don't see any evidence of it being unsafe. Yea, the wiring is jacked up but other than that the bike is solid. I've seen some sketchy backyard builds in my day but this one isn't one of them. Just the case of some lazy wiring.

Without a kill switch it could be a death trap. Imagine you lay it down, doesn't even have to be at speed, throttle jams, let your imagination do the rest. That's why the kill switch is a big red button easy (too easy sometimes) to operate.

I would start by wiring a switch in line with the ignition, it's better than nothing. Do you know if it has a PMA or is it still the stock alternator?

And re-wiring is not as hard as you think.

It's not leaving the garage until it has a completely new wiring harness including kill switch and ignition switch. I plan on incorporating the switches from the R6 front end.

Yes it has a PMA. It looks like a Mikes rectifier. Not sure how the regulator fits in which is why I was looking for a schematic of the Boyer setup.

Well then, time to snap some pics and post away. With a setup like that it's going to be hard to tell where to look for things.

Post pics of the rectifier, it could be a combo reg/rect like the drawing above. PMA + Boyer is a nice score, ready to wire like above and eliminate the battery and starter.

Good news is with this weather it's going to be hard to ride the bike anyway.

Here's the mess that is the "harness"

photo+1.JPG

Rectifier. Not sure what brand.

photo+4.JPG

Boyer Bransden thingy

photo+5.JPG

Fuse box under battery box

photo+2.JPG

Rediculously ugly hot wired starter button (about to be cut out after lunch)

photo+3.JPG

Hi,

Heres the link to the Boyer fitting instructions for the XS650, including a schematic for you.
http://www.boyerbransden.com/pdf/KIT00103__BOX00010_.pdf

Ive fitted a lot of Boyers (its all I use) and they are fairly straight forward.

Basically:

Out of the blue Boyer box you will have:

1 x Red - +12v Input - connect this to a fused (5A) switched live
1 x White - Earth - connect this to a good earth point
1 x Black - Coil trigger - connect this to the -terminal on the Gill coil
2 x White / black and Yellow / black - pick up wires - connect these to your pick up plate (polarity is not important)

The remaining connection you will need to make is from the +terminal on the coil. Connect that to a +12v fused (20A) switched feed.

Hope this helps

That's a great start. Thanks for that.

Can anyone tell me if they recognize that rectifier? I'd love to lose the battery. Just not sure if I have the correct parts yet.

Hi that rectifier looks like a one that comes with a PMA:

3 x yellow wires to the PMA (order un-important)
1 x green wire to a good earth
1 x red wire to the +terminal on the battery

With the Boyer, you MUST have a battery to start the bike. The Boyer needs at least 11.5v to start sparking the coil. however, if you aren't running a starter, you can use quite a small battery to tuck away.
The Pamco, ignition can run without a battery using a capacitor instead

So if that's the rectifier that comes with the PMA do I need a regulator? I'm thinking I'm going to keep it wired up because the bike runs great. So I don't want to mess with it.

Last edited:
Back