Brake handle

AHOTHOMAS0

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I need a new brake fluid reservoir for my front brakes. I can't seem to find a matching one anywhere. This is what I got, anyone have any leads to where I can find this?

1978 Yamaha xs650

Attachments

• 16521154043624005503131964419938.jpg
    16521154043624005503131964419938.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 70
Although Yamaha made pretty good brake components, back then they still hadn't quite figured out the best ratio between MC bore size and the caliper piston size it was pushing to achieve best braking "feel" and modulation. The 14mm MC that came on your '78 originally was a bit too large. Since you need a replacement, consider getting one slightly smaller, in the 11 to 13mm range. Anything in that size range will be an improvement over the original. An 11mm replacement is quite popular and works very well .....

MyTTR225MC3.jpg

Personally, I shop for nice used ones on eBay. The unit above comes from the Yamaha XT/TT225 dirt bike. The advantage to using one from another Yamaha model is it will accept your original brake lever, brake light switch, and has the reverse thread mirror mount like your original did.

When shopping, you should be able to easily I.D. the MC size as it should be clearly stamped on the body. Here, you can see the "11" stamped on this one .....

MyTTR225MC4.jpg

On my other 650, I have a 1/2" MC (12.7mm). While it is an improvement over stock, it doesn't give as big of an increase in "feel" and modulation compared to the 11. Again, it's size is clearly stamped on the MC body .....

MCRear.jpg

Personally, I shop for nice used ones on eBay. The unit above comes from the Yamaha XT/TT225 dirt bike.
Every time I search for one of those, there's tons of new Chinese copies for like 15 bucks. Not sure I'm ready to trust my life to some Chinese knockoff that can be at your door for the cost of a twelve pack. Anyone have any experience with one of 'em?

Yes, if I can score a nice used Yamaha unit for $20 to $30, I'd much rather have that. The Nissin MCs they used are very high quality. Both the used ones I refurbed for my bikes only needed a good cleaning, no rebuild kit. The only parts I replaced were the screws for the tops.

Last edited:
Back