Brake Light Indicator Flashing

neill76

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I've had my bike on the road for a couple of months now and recently the brake light indicator on the tach has started flashing. It only happens sometimes but when it flashes it seems to be in rhythm like its hooked up to timer. WHen I actually use the front or rear brake the indicator lights up solid like its supposed to but when I let the brake off it returns to flashing. It seems like when its flashing the brake light is staying on. Occasionally it stops flashing and the light functions properly. Am I missing something? Anyone have any ideas?

could be switch adjustment, look at the switch button contact area on the front lever make sure it's clean, rear switch pull lenght can be adjusted, check lenght of brushes in the alt. brake warning may light up if not or poor charging

neill76,

A flashing brake light indicator happens if the brake light bulb is burned out or there is a loose wire going to the tail light. The brake light bulb checker checks continuity through the brake light to ground when the brake light is off. The most likely cause is a broken or loose ground wire. Remember that the fender is not grounded, so if your tail light ground is connected to the fender, that would explain it.

Back