Brake line

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
IMG_0257.JPG
I messed up when I ordered my back brake line--how are the ends put on these? DIY or does anyone know who would do this?

Thx

Hi JSmith: Normally, they are swaged on with special tools. Its really not a DIY job unless you have those tools - but a local automotive machine shop or motorcycle shop might be able to help you out.

Pete

Yup - and you'd have to cut off the end to get a new one installed. As 5Twinns points out - these hose end fittings are a one-shot deal.

I would take it to a shop and see what they say. The way it is now - someone might be able to use it but if you cut the end off - you've got nothing. Also - be sure that if you cut the end off and have the correct end installed - the hose will still be long enough.

Drop by this place, they should be able to help. If it is a matter of a bend, they may be able to tweak what ya got. Be sure to take your old one with you.

I just called Pirtek this morning and they said you can't cut into a DOT hose---they have to be re-made. I will call the other place again to see if they say the same thing---if they do, where are people buying these at a good price?

Jegs sells diy ends for brake hose. I made my own up for my old Triumph. The banjo has a nipple that fits into the plastic part of the hose. The steel braid is opened so a brass ferrule is placed over the plastic hose. A compression nut, already on the hose, is pushed down over the braid and ferrule. The nut is then screwed onto the banjo which compresses everything together. Note, the steel braid is also grabbed which puts line damaging force on the steel rather than the weaker plastic hose inside.
Tom

I would check Banggood. Their lines are only $7 or $8.

Back