1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Brake line

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jsmith1107, Mar 8, 2017.

1. IMG_0257.JPG I messed up when I ordered my back brake line--how are the ends put on these? DIY or does anyone know who would do this?

Thx

2. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Hi JSmith: Normally, they are swaged on with special tools. Its really not a DIY job unless you have those tools - but a local automotive machine shop or motorcycle shop might be able to help you out.

Pete

3. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

4. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yup - and you'd have to cut off the end to get a new one installed. As 5Twinns points out - these hose end fittings are a one-shot deal.

5. But I could cut it off and have a new one put on right? Or maybe I would be just better off order a new one and selling this one?

6. MaxPete

I would take it to a shop and see what they say. The way it is now - someone might be able to use it but if you cut the end off - you've got nothing. Also - be sure that if you cut the end off and have the correct end installed - the hose will still be long enough.

7. weekendrider

weekendrider Iron Horse cowboy Top Contributor

S.W. MO
    Drop by this place, they should be able to help. If it is a matter of a bend, they may be able to tweak what ya got. Be sure to take your old one with you.

8. Thanks for the name---appreciate it.

9. Zip960

Zip960 XS650 Enthusiast

I second the idea of selling and buying a new one! Keeps the bike's progress moving forward.

10. Where are people buying these from now?

11. Zip960

Zip960 XS650 Enthusiast

MikesXS, EBay, and a couple others. Do goggle search....for the other vendors.

12. weekendrider

weekendrider Iron Horse cowboy Top Contributor

S.W. MO
  13. I just called Pirtek this morning and they said you can't cut into a DOT hose---they have to be re-made. I will call the other place again to see if they say the same thing---if they do, where are people buying these at a good price?

14. robinc

robinc Member of the 'yellow meter gang' Top Contributor

You could try this site that 5twins came across, www.banggood.com
    Search for 'motorcycle brake lines'
    Might find what you're looking for there.

lakeview likes this.
  15. Satch39

Satch39 XS650 Addict

16. Tomterrific

Tomterrific XS650 Junkie

Jegs sells diy ends for brake hose. I made my own up for my old Triumph. The banjo has a nipple that fits into the plastic part of the hose. The steel braid is opened so a brass ferrule is placed over the plastic hose. A compression nut, already on the hose, is pushed down over the braid and ferrule. The nut is then screwed onto the banjo which compresses everything together. Note, the steel braid is also grabbed which puts line damaging force on the steel rather than the weaker plastic hose inside.
    Tom

17. Hey Tom, so do you think I could just shorten my existing brake line using the DIY you mentioned above?

18. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I would check Banggood. Their lines are only $7 or $8.

19. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

Their ends are probably not compatible with your hose.

Scott

20. I looked at that website---scares me they are so cheap. You have ordered with them and no issues?