Brake lite,

RobR

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1979 xs650 special, when I start the bike the brake/tail lite will come on and stay on. I have ben reading some post and I am getting the feeling that it mite be a charging problem. If I had a bad rectifier would this cause the light to do this. Just trying to find a starting point. Thanks Rob

Welcome to the site.
Pictures help us diagnose problems.
Start with the simple things first. Does the brake light switch spring return the switch to off when the brake is released?

Thanks for your quick reply. Here is a picture. This is how it works, when bike has set for a day or so and you turn on key the lite is not on. As soon as you try starting it the lite will come on and stay on whether the bike is running or you shut the bike off and just turn the key back on. The brake lite switch seems to be working fine, but that lite does not lite up if you depress the brake peddle, which I assume it should. Thanks again for any help

Attachments

• 1595165843895968219097374992811.jpg
    1595165843895968219097374992811.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 83
That's a warning light indicating if the brake light has burned out, so I think your issue may be as simple as that - a burned out or bad bulb. It may just not be making good contact in the socket. I would inspect the bulb and also remove and install it a few times to make a fresh connection.

I don't think it has anything to do with the charging system. There are front and back brake light switches, check the rear first to make sure it is shutting off the switch. Then check to see if brake pedal moves freely.

The brake lite( the one at rear of bike not the one in the cluster) comes on just like it should, when either the foot peddle is depressed or front brake lever is pulled in. One thing I have noticed is that the tail lite comes on as soon as key is turned on. Not sure if this is normal

Back