Brake m/c swap when ditching buckhorns for euros

So the slanty mc is better when using dual disc due to piston size. Is there no dual or quad piston caliper that is a bolt on that would essentially duplicate two single piston calipers while not adding the extra weight of 2nd disc/caliper, etc?

I'm not aware of any. Some adapt other calipers like a Brembo, but it requires a custom mounting bracket. Cheapest and easiest route is a used replacement MC with a smaller bore from another Yamaha. What makes a Yamaha one desirable is that it will accept your brake lever, reverse thread mirror, and brake light switch. This is an 11mm MC from a TTR225 I got off eBay for about $20. It's a bit weathered but that matches the rest of the bike, lol .....

bSPVZ5t.jpg

C7botBH.jpg

Not every old Yama cyl accepts reverse threads on the mirror. At least one doesn't...

So the slanty mc is better when using dual disc due to piston size. Is there no dual or quad piston caliper that is a bolt on that would essentially duplicate two single piston calipers while not adding the extra weight of 2nd disc/caliper, etc?
The stock M/C and stock single caliper worked well with the stock rubber brake lines -- those lines would swell a little when you applied the brake, and the large diameter bore of the caliper took care of that. Braided stainless steel lines don't swell -- when you put them on, that's when the stock M/C becomes overkill. Nonetheless, it does work. Plenty of us are using the stock M/C and caliper and braided stainless. It really isn't a big deal and you get used to it.

see my avatar, later model 600 750 rotors both used and new from china bolt on (with an aluminum spacer) at a weight savings of 3 pounds a rotor! Have your cake and eat it too. When I've been riding Madness and then ride a single rotor XS the difference is VERY noticable.
DSCN0482.JPG
DSCN0483.JPG
DSCN0479.JPG

Madness with the duals and the stock angled MC on euro bars prolly Emgo's. Also has Virago risers, about an inch up and back from stock risers.
front brakes.jpg

PS note there is about 1/2" of bare handlebar 'tween the control and MC, that's important, Yamaha used a plastic spacer there.

20190408_141617.jpg
Well, that OEM slanted MC looks pretty bad, even with buckhorns. Worse with some flat bars. Forget about mirror thread altogether, and get a Brembo "coffin reservoir" type with 12 or 13 mm bore. Lighter, more compact, and has a brake light microswitch, so you can lose the heavy oem switch, and use a single line. As for single vs twin disc setup, a single 300-320 mm disc combined with a 4 pot caliper is a lightweight setup, and is all the brake you need on an XS. The "Euro" oem twin disc setup on my -77 is stupid heavy, and not very good at all. All the stock brake parts from my XS is at the bottom of a cardboard box, and I will never fit them again. Going to a 320 mm bespoke ISR disc, 4 pot Brembo caliper with home made adapter, 13 mm Brembo MC, single braided line, EBC HH pads saved around 4 kilos (9lbs) ! And is a much better brake as well. See pic of my front brake above.

Last edited:
I've never encountered that clearance issue with the lever adjustment screw, maybe because mine are adjusted most of the way in? I do recall finding that plastic ring spacer on there, I just left it off, lol. My handlebar control assembly is dished out in that area for clearance. Maybe all of them aren't?

Back