Brake Pads

MacMcMacmac

Failed Hedonist.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a brand/supplier of brake pads they are happy with? I'd like to get something which doesn't squeal as bad as the pads I have now. I assume mine are semi-metallic by the screech. Rights are due, the lefts have plenty left but I'm going to exchange them as a set of four. The left caliper is an add on and has not been in service nearly as long.

My ‘77 front disc squealed so bad it set my teeth on edge. I tried just about every fix. The first thing I tried was that anti squeal brake caliper lube,
8AB9A02B-C6CE-497C-AC36-30D29047933D.jpeg
It works for a short while, but the squeal comes back, and it makes an un Godly mess of your caliper, I don’t recommend it.
Then I got serious about researching the cause and the cure, ( insert a thank you to 5Twins here ) I started shopping on EBay for two items, circled in red here,
EFCE0DB2-9A8E-461B-B4AC-943A657F7B80.jpeg

The little silver clips have thin rubber Pads in them that is supposed to help stop vibration, and the larger black shims, also help block vibration. The silver clips I found NOS, the shims were used and rough, but I cleaned them up and used them. They weren’t made to be used together, but they all fit and they don’t interfere with each other so I threw them all in.
96BED06A-5344-42C2-A966-54FEE8D6B95B.jpeg
65766561-673D-488B-927A-D25C9C5622D4.jpeg
4618B8B0-6531-4E97-A3F9-088369ACDCC4.jpeg

For brake pads, I’ve always liked EBC, they’re readily available and work well. And the results? Squeal is gone buddy!
C1AA9007-9900-4270-AC11-F9A2937D58F8.png

I'm not sure they make them anymore, but SBS ceramic pads are my choice. I haven't had squeak issues, they seem to be easy on the rotors, they aren't terribly dirty, and I think they stop me better than anything else I tried on there. This is all subjective, of course. It's not at all scientific, just my impression. If they dropped the XS650, somebody still has them in stock.

I actually like the stock pads and think they work quite well. I did install aftermarket pads on my one 650, the Ferodo Platinums from 650Central, and I'm not that impressed. They don't work much, if any, better than my originals did. And on top of that, they started to squeal after a few hundred miles. I fixed that, as Mailman mentioned, by installing the pad shims.

The stock pads are still available and not that expensive. Another thing I like about them is they're sold as a "kit". You get more than just the pads, or at least you used to .....

8B4P2PY.jpg

The parts drawing indicates all the items included in the "kit" .....

full

Back