Brake Rotors Need Turnin'

maico996

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I realize this forum has been asleep for a while so time to wake up from our collective nap. ;)
I'm in the middle of moving so my garage is scattered across two storage units and I currently have nowhere to work on my bike. I'm looking for a shop in the great PNW that can turn the rotors on my '80SG, preferably close to the Seattle/Tacoma area. I'm also not opposed to shipping them somewhere to get the work done.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Scott

I remember when I first got into restoring old bikes and I called this shop and asked who around here turns brake discs and he surprised me when he said “ nobody does it”. o_O He said they are too thin to turn and a safety issue.
Humbug says I ! There are minimum thickness tolerances set out in the manual. So bottom line is, resurface them yourself. I’ve used a 4” grinder and a soft wheel to gently scuff up the surface. Here is my XS2 that I used a soft abrasive wheel in a cordless drill, to finish. I’ve known guys to fasten them in a drill press and use a flat file. You just kinda have to get creative, but it can be done at home.
EDFB5D72-C8AD-40D7-9A2C-983D8F8D4F52.jpeg
9CAE3875-5CE4-4239-B89D-988D3C9BBEBF.jpeg
0F5D45F6-2F29-41C2-A2B4-CD15396E18A1.jpeg

Except of course the guys that Jim just referenced! :laughing: I didn’t know about them. :laugh2: I just followed his link and it looks like they do very nice work!

I remember when I first got into restoring old bikes and I called this shop and asked who around here turns brake discs and he surprised me when he said “ nobody does it”. o_O He said they are too thin to turn and a safety issue.
Humbug says I ! There are minimum thickness tolerances set out in the manual. So bottom line is, resurface them yourself. I’ve used a 4” grinder and a soft wheel to gently scuff up the surface. Here is my XS2 that I used a soft abrasive wheel in a cordless drill, to finish. I’ve known guys to fasten them in a drill press and use a flat file. You just kinda have to get creative, but it can be done at home.

Thanks Mailman. Unfortunately my "do it at home" opportunities are little to none at the moment. Most of my tools and my drill press are buried in storage at the moment while the future Mrs. and I shop for a new home. I left a few of my basic hand tools accessible so I should be able to remove the rotors without much trouble. Agreed the place Jim suggested looks like a pretty good choice!

Find a local machine shop that does Blanchard grinding. A shop with such a grinder should be able to do it for you. Before you spend real dollars on that, consider new rotors. You can get them as light as 2 lbs. Your current rotor is over twice that.

Find a local machine shop that does Blanchard grinding. A shop with such a grinder should be able to do it for you. Before you spend real dollars on that, consider new rotors. You can get them as light as 2 lbs. Your current rotor is over twice that.

Thanks Marty, I've already called two local shops that do Blanchard grinding and their minimum charge is between $200-$250 and the rotor has to be flat. The '80 rotors are not flat.
s-l1600.jpg

(this is NOT my rotor, just a photo I grabbed from the innerwebs)

Find a automotive machine shop that grinds flywheels. They may be able to help you.

Um, I'm having difficulty with a big dollar investment in resurfacing brake rotors.
They are too easily found even locally for cheap. Home improvements on the surface seems reasonable.
I gave several good XS rotors away (7mm thick) SR500/ late XS1100 rotors are even a better idea perhaps at only 5mm thick.

Last edited:
Um, I'm having difficulty with a big dollar investment in resurfacing brake rotors.
They are too easily found even locally for cheap. Home improvements on the surface seems reasonable.
I gave several good XS rotors away (7mm thick) SR500/ late XS1100 rotors are even a better idea perhaps at only 5mm thick.

Per the link Jim posted, $90 plus shipping for two rotors seems pretty reasonable to me. :)

XJ4Ever has an aftermarket right front rotor for an XS1100. XS650 and XS1100 front rotors are identical, so don't mention XS650 to him. He doesn't know XS650 and may not deal with you on this. So scroll down to XS1100 front right. He also has all the hardware. None better than this guy in my experience.
HCP23922 Aftermarket oem-replacement DISC BRAKE ROTOR, fits either left or right side, drilled cooling holes with a fully-floating, riveted hub design, fits all XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models, XJ1100 models front and rear, and all XS1100 models front and rear. Each:
$ 229.95

650 Central has all the new rotor options. MMM is trustworthy and responds quickly. He IS the XS650 brake expert.
upload_2021-7-20_14-29-36.png

I believe these leaves a lot of options. The stock rotor is great if you can get it for free!

:shrug:
I've bought locally for $10, Ebay more like $20

Thanks. I agree that's a good price if you want to replace rotors, but I'd still want to have them resurfaced, which is the $90 I was referring to. I'm just looking to have my stock rotors resurfaced. :D

Because they're cupped you may find a "friend" to Blanchard grind them but anyone else charge you a fortune for all the fiddle f'n around they'll have to do to accomplish it.
A brake lathe or regular lathe could do it, again BUT they're so thin they'll sing like the proverbial Fat Lady. Need some method of dampening the vibration/chatter.
In the end it all comes down to fixturing and time so unless you have an emotional attachment to these particular rotors buying used or replacements are the way to go

I've used TrueDisk in the past and can recommend them without reservation. The owner is a good guy and I like supporting the people that support the hobby.
For the XS650 I followed Gary's recommendation and went with the cheaper, lighter replacements but then had to cough up $100 for a 7mm spacer so....

Back