Brake system restoration - THANK YOU ALL!

marp68

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank you all who contributed to my threads about restoring my whole brake system. And of course you all who wrote older threads which I've been reading witg great interest. It's been a small but interesting journey. Did some mistakes but learnt a lot. And yes, the brakes are not that difficult to restore by yourself.

Got all parts back together yesterday, new brake fluid in and bleeded the system. At first it was kind of difficult to get the fluid a ll the way down, but thanks to previous threads I did it step by step. The final bleeding went smoothe. Will check it after some driving. Then I went out, a bit nervous, to test them. But they worked well. The brakes now feels more as they should do and the pistons now back off after letting go of the lever instead of sticking to the disc and make it very hot.

What I learnt:

1. Never trust the manual completely. If the torque spec seems strange, ask around before you go ahead
2. Change the caliper seals, they don't cost much, but can save your life
3. Be careful with the M/C seals, they cost more or are hard to find (at least for my M/C piston)
4. Go ahead, you can do it
5. If you don't, there are always nice peaople willing to help out

:bike:

And, it passed the mandatory every two year inspection. Big thumbs up for the brakes and for an overall well going bike.

Back