Brand New Pamco install...NO SPARK...HELP!

jamaral

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok....i tried to e-mail pete on his site and PM'ed him twice here been about two weeks no response. So any suggestions would be helpful. Not my first rodeo building bikes, so no need to bash. I got the bike to mockup form...running wires now. i need to do shakedown test before i get to painting frame and tank. I went through the test procedure and this is what i emailed to pete.

Originally Posted by jamaral
Hey Pete this is the 3rd xs650 im building now.....so here goes. (also second pamco install...different bikes.) Doing all testing with a DVOM...followed your step to check for spark....not getting anything. Dual output coil (BLACK with Black Wires) lowest setting on ohm get 4.6 between coil terminals. switching over to infinite takes me to 1000 to start on meter...have no number changes on meter between terminal and core, terminal and plug end.
Now when i but meter to 2000k between plug ends i get 016 when switched to 20k i get 16.40....i took plug caps off wire ends to make sure it wasnt caps either.

ok onto pamco...having everything hooked up to separate fully charged battery ad spinning rotor by hand I cannot generate a spark on either plug...yes both plug were grounded to case and did it twice to test wire from neg. now when looking at pamco on green board there is a tiny black square resistor w/ 3 leads soldered...looks like two might be touching. I wish i could attach picture. board says pamco 1008 rev 2 ac04 0712.
I ordered this last winter as the motor was being rebuilt. I got the motor to fire off by hooking points back up....HATE THEM THINGS. missed the e-advance buzz. Motor/bike is 1978 so already had the points and mechanical advance.

Any other tricks or tips to try out?
Sorry long letter.

Joe Amaral
user name: jamaral

Attachments

• IMG_8723.jpg
    IMG_8723.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_8724.jpg
    IMG_8724.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_8725.jpg
    IMG_8725.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_8726.jpg
    IMG_8726.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_8727.jpg
    IMG_8727.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_8728.jpg
    IMG_8728.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_8568.jpg
    IMG_8568.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 219
jamaral,

Looks like you somehow bent the leads on the Hall sensor and shorted them out, or in any event the sensor is now not in the correct position on the board.

PM your address for warranty details.

Pm sent....this is why I'm voting you for president. We need to get some shirts made up PAMCOPETE FOR PRESIDENT

I ended up ordering the full kit with rod advancer and bushings from mikes, but the packaging was horrible . The advance rod was poking out the box none the less.
(i have all the extra parts if anyone needs it...the advance went to another member here already)

Back