Break Leaver ??

Mountain Rider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hay All,

I was wondering what would be the best way to remove this item? I was at the Yamaha Parts Catalog site to try to find out the name for it, but no go.. Shop manual has no name as well. This item on my leaver housing does not want to fall out freely, would it require a punch or something of the likes to remove? I am trying to get my leaver off so I can clean and repair. Thanks in advance for the help....

Ps. XS2 is what it come off of..

mcbreakleaver.png

Well, I'd call that a bushing and usually, they either fall out or can be popped out with a little punch which is just a bit bigger than the inside diameter - but not as big as the outside diameter.

I sprayed it with some penetrating lube and will let it sit tonight. Now the bottom side of the assembly where the bolt threads into is smaller, same as the threads on the bolt and look as if the casting for the leaver was taped to accept the bolt, i.e not being able to use a tap on the bottom side to knock out the bushing as the bushing does not go all the way through to the bottom side of the casting. I may be wrong on this and why I put it to the forums before I started to wack at it.. :umm:

Ps. Thanks for the thoughts MaxPete

Whatever you do - don't hit too hard. If it won't come out with a little tap (a chunk of wood is always a good punch for delicate stuff like levers) - stop and stare at it a bit before trying something else.

Pete

Wait do not drive it out I think I remember that there is a "trick" on the early levers. Here's a 73 apart. I haven't done one for several years now. Looks like the internally threaded steel sleeve is a slip fit inside the brass bushing. I think one or both have to come out the TOP, the bottom hole in the bracket is smaller than the bushings. please confirm what you find out.

full

So;
I think you want to thread the bolt back into the inner bushing, thread the small nut just til it's flush to the end of the bolt. and tap the bolt and steel bushing UP remove the nut finish lifting out the bolt and steel inner bushing, then the lever comes out the side with the brass bushing in it. Yeah, I think that was the trick.

yes bottom is smaller then top and the bushing does twist/move when the leaver is pulled. This is why I was thinking that bushing was/is seized. But if it's threaded that changes things..

Hmmmm...are you sure that wasn't a British bike? That sounds like the sort of thing that the folks who put three windshield wipers on small cars would do.....

My pic is a 73 TX650, the XS2 is slightly different but I 'm not sure in exactly what way.

If that is the case then a bolt matched to the internal threads and a small plate stuck in the slot to protect perch should pull the bushing as you tighten the bolt?
Or run the bolt in and use a pin punch from the bottom to tap it out?

Hmmmm...are you sure that wasn't a British bike? That sounds like the sort of thing that the folks who put three windshield wipers on small cars would do.....
Hi Pete,
MGB, right? Had a Lucas wiper motor, dinnit? Coulda been worse. Coulda been a Dagenham Upright with vacuum wipers.
Floor it to overtake and they'd quit. Lift off the gas to pull back in because you can't see if anything's coming and they'd flap like a humming bird

Back