Brembo Caliper: 11, 13, or 16mm master cylinder?

blackbetty

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I'm ordering my master cylinder and stainless line for my build to use with a 65mm gold series 4 piston Brembo caliper and Pandemonium's bracket. I've done mucho research about the appropriate master cylinder to use, but all the info seems quite subjective.

SO, from my understanding on other forums, the Brembo gold series is designed as a dual caliper setup with a 16mm master cylinder. Since I'm only using a single caliper, what would be an ideal master cylinder size for my application? 16mm? 13mm? 11mm? I want the best feel and the most efficient stopping power I can pull from my setup, obviously, and to avoid the "wood block" feel people seem to get when running a MC with too large a bore.

XSleo had an interesting thread regarding MC's in single and dual setups for factory XS calipers; I took away that the smaller the master cylinder bore, the firmer the feel. Does this hold true for 4 piston calipers?

Right now I'm considering the Magura, either in 16 or 13mm depending on what will work better. If I need to go all the way down to an 11mm, I'd get the slimline master cylinder from Mikes.

Can't answer that without knowing caliper piston area. Refer to the table on the home page of Michael Morse's Vintage Brakes site. Smaller MC=longer lever travel and more pressure at pads for a given pressure at lever.

Hmm. The calipers are a 30/34 setup. I need to google how to figure area since I forgot my 8th grade math

:banghead:

EDIT:

Spoke to a bunch of people and found my answer.
For anyone running a single Brembo goldline 65mm 30/34 4 piston caliper, use a 13mm MC.

Last edited:
Back