Broke a piece off my bike, can I still ride it??

vegeeeeeeeta

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Was changing the oil on my bike, and told my buddy to take off the oil cap-- he took off the wrong piece, and now its kinda broken. Hanging on by a thread or two. Apparently it was painted over and sealed on.
It's a bolt with a spring underneath-- not really sure what it does! Can I ride it to a mechanic to put it back on, or what?
IMG_20190825_111303.jpg
IMG_20190825_111307.jpg

It's the detent for the shift drum. As long as you didn't lose the ball and spring, you should be able to just tighten it back down and drive it. But don't try shifting with it like that.

Hard to tell for sure from the pics, but it looks to me like the threaded hole was damaged and repaired with JB-Weld. Simplest fix would be to just leave everything in place, blast the area with carb cleaner, slap some new JB-Weld on, and tighten it. You will never have to fool with that bolt again until you do a lower end re-build, which is probably never. If you do remove the bolt before doing the repair for some reason, the attached diagram shows the order that the parts below the bolt go in, parts 18-21. Looks like your part # 20, the sealing washer, already got discarded, which is okay if you are going to use the JB-Weld.
tranny.png

damage looks a bit worse than first appears. I wouldn't have thought that it could be repaired with a liquid epoxy aluminium like JB Weld.:(

you are going to need to have that repaired with a Tig weld to plug the hole and then build it up milled ,drilled and tapped which can probably only be done by stripping the crankcase .
IMG_20190825_111307.jpg

If you remove the cap bolt, Clean the area very well, and I mean very well, It can be JB Welded to a near perfect repair.
It needs to be very clean or the JB Weld won't stick to the case. You may even have to grind out a bit of the surface to get clean metal. Once good and clean make a card board gasket that has a tight fit on the cap bolt. Apply a thin coat of grease to the threads on the cap bolt and to the cardboard washer. Carefully thread the cap back in place without anything under it. Trying not to get the grease on the area where you want the JB Weld to hold.
With the cap threaded in but not quite all the way mix up enough regular JB Weld, NOT the quick set stuff, Apply to the clean area and press firmly into the threads of the cap. Then add enough more to fill the area around the cap to just a bit more than what the original area looked like. Tighten the cap slightly to compress the top flat.
Let it set for 24 hours. Check to see if the JB Weld has set up. If it looks even a bit questionable let it set another 24 hours. When it's set completely Carefully unscrew the cap. The grease should have keep the JB Weld From sticking to the cap threads and the washer. It should screw out leaving good threads behind.
You can then use files and sand paper to make it look like the original case. Possibly a Dremmel tool. Replace the internal parts, a new gasket and snug in place. It doesn't need a lot of torque, just snug.
While out try stretching the spring a bit. I use a set of diaginal cutters, dykes to some. Squeeze the cutting edge into the spring between the coils in several places to make the spring about 18 inch longer.
JB Weld has steel as part of the matrix. It can make a repair as strong as the case ever was if done properly. JB Weld fails primarily because of not getting thing clean enough.
I have fixed a lot of things with it. Sealed cracked engine block. Valve cover holes stripped out. Bedded rifles. Patching our sump filter screens. As well as too many little things to recall.
Leo

Back