Broken OE shock!

Item #25, the book shows four of them. Can’t be. The stud is 14mm inside the shock and 10mm on the outside. There aren’t many threads for the nut with all washers on there. I ordered what’s in the picture. I’m interested to find out what I get.

upload_2021-8-7_15-46-21-png.196118

I ordered #25 and #26. The brown truck brought them today. They're all 10mm, so they won't fit on the 14mm stud.
image.jpg

There’s nothing different between these washers and what I sourced at the hardware store. If I put a 14mm washer, then the shock, then 10mm washer, the grab bar, and lock washer, it leaves too few threads for the nut.

Last edited:
I believe I need to come up with thin washers to make this work as what is pictured in the parts breakdown. The parts breakdown is wrong. The washer on the inside has to be 14mm. What's listed is 10mm.

Sometimes you need to get creative. I recall on some rear shock combo with luggage rack etc I also ran out of room, so turned the inner 1/4" or so of the nut down to accept a washer giving me extra room for all the parts to be kept captive. Still had plenty of hex to tighten the nut. It all worked fine. Madness had one shock stud that broke off, so drilled and threaded the bung to accept a stud. That's worked fine for thousands of miles.
PS thin SS fender washers exist.........

I am curious @jetmechmarty as to how much weight you have in that tail bag. They can't hold all that much unless weight you are carrying gold or uranium...

You could also consider leaving out the inner washer or corbeling the inner washer hole so it sits with the outside of the washer flush to the bung face.

I'm thinkin' something similar to Gary and 5T; I think that the parts diagram is wrong, and no washer belongs there on the inside, like my two bikes.

The aluminum rail fit perfectly. Tightening the nut did not pull it, nor did I stretch it open to fit. The nut is set to 21 ft lbs as specified in the factory service manual. I took a 25 mile evening ride. All is well.

BTW, those are earlier shocks. I failed to check the measurement against the late one.

Back