Broken shift mechanism!

luckynumber0

In Over His Head
Reaction score
Hello friends!

Again I come to you with broken parts and my tail between my legs.

Was experiencing some sudden serious shifting issues and was told to check the springs by the star shaped shifting mechanism and shaft.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance of the terminology of everything.

When I opened up the RH case cover, these fell out:
hr57Qnv.jpg

^Washer and uh...some sort of....broken...thing?

nQO1xkq.jpg

^Washer's pretty thick

lu2kDV3.jpg

^Here's the...er...thingy

I poked around and saw some sad looking torn metal (like the shearings from a stripped thread) in this spot. I put the thingy in there and it fit perfectly...even sort of actuated against the star shifting mechanism. So this is where it came from:
G21xyHk.jpg

lWUWHbG.jpg

^ another pic

Also noticed that there seems to be a peg missing from behind the star shaped shift mechanism. Can't tell if this is normal or if it's been sheared off somehow:
dCXVNQT.jpg

Here's the whole thing at a glance as it is now:
DCsB8K1.jpg

My questions:
1. What broke?
2. Why did it break?
3. Where is the thick washer from?
4. How do I fix this?

That's where it came from and the washer rides between it and the shift fork. As far as why or how it came out, I can't help you. The missing peg on the wheel is normal.

Yes that large washer attaches to that arm and spring on top, I think it was riveted to the arm.

Your thingy is the rivet that held the thick washer on the arm.
It may be possible to remove the arm and put the rivet through the washer and the arm and peen the rivet so it holds the washer on the arm.
The washer on the spring loaded arm rolled against the pins in the end of the shift drum. This holds the shift drum in place for each gear and the spot where the it looks like a pin is missing is neutral.
The parts you posted should work. They didn't change that part over the years. ell I'm sure from 74 up. The earlier 256 engines may be different, but I doubt it.
Leo

Good old mr monkey claw I'll send the part you need for $15 shipping included.

...They didn't change that part over the years. ell I'm sure from 74 up. The earlier 256 engines may be different, but I doubt it...

Good question, been wondering about that myself. I've seen some 'starwheel' pics where it appears that arm lengths looks different, like the upper hook for the spring can be high, close to the upper case flange, or shorter by about 1/8". And it's been buggin' me.

The original 70-72 parts manuals show that 'stopper' to have a '256' part number, and its spring is a '256' as well. Later reissues of the 70-73 parts manuals show that 'stopper' to have a '341' part number and a new number for the spring, same as those for all '74-on bikes. So, it seems that a part revision slipped in there, and we don't seem to have a bulletin that covers that. It's probably safe to say that the later '341' stopper and matching spring is applicable to all years.

Another XS mystery...

I have no idea! I just grabbed one out of a parts bin but I'll look at how it's replaced.

You have to remove the clutch. Get one of them harbor freight electric impact guns and a socket for the big nut that holds the clutch on. I just grab ahold of the clutch with a thick welder glove and it spins right off with the impact. You first have to remove the 6 screws and pressure plate the plates then the nut and washers then clutch boss then the driven gear one. they all just slide off easy after the 6 screws and big nut. the part is behind them. Just put mine together last night so its fresh in my mind. Just dont mix up the washers. There will be some washers stick to the back side of the clutch boss and driven gear.

@gggGary - Package arrived today! Excited to figure out how it goes in.

@cruzin - Appreciate your wanting to help, but do you see a clutch basket in those images?

If anyone has a method for replacing the part please let me know! Otherwise I'll just tinker until I figure it out. Reckon I'll have to remove the shift shaft in order to get to it and then (hopefully) it should present itself.

I just did one of those. pulled the shift shaft, pressed the rivet in and tig welded it, then put it all back together.

Hey guys -

So thanks to gggGary I obtained the part and replaced it. Now - and this might be my imagination - but when I try shifting through the gears it's as if the shift pattern was reversed. So when I shift all the way down it feels like it's in 5th, and all the way up is 1st...is that even possible? Could having spun the star shaped mechanism by hand with the shift shaft out have somehow thrown it out of whack?

Haha, no. It's yer imagination, very common on even-numbered Mondays.

When upshifting, the starwheel/shift-drum rotates clockwise (when viewed from the clutch side).
Counter-clockwise when downshifting.

Make sure that the shifter claw is centered.
Check the shift pins such that there's no pin for the claw to grab to go below first, or above fifth.
Might as well check the neutral detent plunger while you're in there...

Back