(BS series) Throttle Seals: Who's done 'em, who needs to?

Hey gggGary, The screws get a little blue on the threads and head angle, then staked one time with a spring loaded punch.

If you are looking for replacements but don't want to buy the screws by the 100 lot.
Look for a hardware store that carries/handles/stocks Servalite products.
If your local store has a good selection you can also find/get allen/socket head replacements for the petcock screws.
Do not try the cap head for the face plate they stand too tail, but the button heads work fine.
IMG_20170123_152259_857[1].jpg

IMG_20170123_152342_722[1].jpg

I don't know why this never occurred to me before, but how about using countersunk star washers on the throttle shaft screws:
90069a103l.gif

These are english, not metric, but I think they are close enough to work on a M3-0.5 countersunk Phillips head screw:

90258a178_phillips oval head screwsl.gif

If you do the mm to inches conversions, you will see that the I.D. of the star washer is ever so slightly too small. But hopefully, they will "screw on" to the screw. If not, a little fussy work with a Dremel.
I am in the "a little blue Loctite" camp when I install throttle shaft screws, but these star washers sure won't hurt anything, I don't think. Going to add a pack the next time I make a McMaster-Carr order.

Gotta ask; has anyone ever heard of sucking in a butterfly screw? On an XS? I'm sure it's happened but I don't think it's ever been reported here?

Gotta ask; has anyone ever heard of sucking in a butterfly screw? On an XS? I'm sure it's happened but I don't think it's ever been reported here?
Sucked one on a Quadrajet once. My fault... left 'em all loose during rebuild... forgot to tighten 'em. Stuck at part throttle (a big part;)). 76 Trans Am. Icy roads... was an interesting 10-15 seconds.... :rolleyes: Never heard of it on an XS.

Just a thought, I often use a spring loaded centre punch for both impacting the screws to loosen them and to distort the exposed thread or the shaft to "peen" it. Small distortion is caused which will hold the screw against vibration but allow removal without too much pressure on the screwdriver.
Less fun than a hammer but much easier.

Back