1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

(BS series) Throttle Seals: Who's done 'em, who needs to?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DirtyErnie, Sep 7, 2011.

1. weekendrider

weekendrider Iron Horse cowboy Top Contributor

S.W. MO
    Hey gggGary, The screws get a little blue on the threads and head angle, then staked one time with a spring loaded punch.

gggGary likes this.
  2. weekendrider

weekendrider Iron Horse cowboy Top Contributor

S.W. MO
    If you are looking for replacements but don't want to buy the screws by the 100 lot.
    Look for a hardware store that carries/handles/stocks Servalite products.
    If your local store has a good selection you can also find/get allen/socket head replacements for the petcock screws.
    Do not try the cap head for the face plate they stand too tail, but the button heads work fine.
    IMG_20170123_152259_857[1].jpg
    IMG_20170123_152342_722[1].jpg

gggGary likes this.
  3. DogBunny

DogBunny Motorcychologist

I don't know why this never occurred to me before, but how about using countersunk star washers on the throttle shaft screws: 90069a103l.gif
    These are english, not metric, but I think they are close enough to work on a M3-0.5 countersunk Phillips head screw:

90258a178_phillips oval head screwsl.gif
    If you do the mm to inches conversions, you will see that the I.D. of the star washer is ever so slightly too small. But hopefully, they will "screw on" to the screw. If not, a little fussy work with a Dremel.
    I am in the "a little blue Loctite" camp when I install throttle shaft screws, but these star washers sure won't hurt anything, I don't think. Going to add a pack the next time I make a McMaster-Carr order.

robinc likes this.
  4. robweeve

robweeve XS650 Member

loctite blue is tried and true

5. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Gotta ask; has anyone ever heard of sucking in a butterfly screw? On an XS? I'm sure it's happened but I don't think it's ever been reported here?

robinc and Jim like this.
  6. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Sucked one on a Quadrajet once. My fault... left 'em all loose during rebuild... forgot to tighten 'em. Stuck at part throttle (a big part;)). 76 Trans Am. Icy roads... was an interesting 10-15 seconds.... :rolleyes: Never heard of it on an XS.

robinc, gggGary and Mailman like this.
  7. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Had a cleaner mount screw sucked thru the Linkert on my panhead. Blipped the throttle and it shot outta the dragpipe...

Jim, robinc and gggGary like this.