BS34 carb float setting plastic and brass floats

Ok I'm FOR SURE calling this victory.
Oiled the Uni UP4200 pods. Just spritz on mix from a windex bottle :thumbsup:. The real "not running worth a #$%#" problem was the almost completely broken TCI pick up wire.
This is with float set to 21.3mm at the "upper flange", 137.5 mains 45 pilots 3 turns out on the idle screw.
probably will go in and lean it out a bit, though the plugs don't look too bad. just pulled them after that video not a plug chop. TDC mark is spot on using eyeball in the plug hole method. so idle timing is a bit retarded.
OH, installed fluid and bled front brake so it stops now! Need to bed the new shoes into the FZR600 rotor yet. you can see I don't have full contact yet n the oil bottle pic. Full gear for road test this time, up hill, up through 5th gear all good!
DSCN7667.JPG
DSCN7669.JPG

Jeez, burnin' rubber and everything, lol. I think your current jetting is pretty much spot on for UNI pods and the Commandos. If you go back to the stock airbox, maybe you could drop one on the mains to a 135, but I wouldn't go back to stock. Many claim their totally stock BS34 equipped bikes run better with one up on the mains.

Dropped mains from 137.5 to 135, SHOULD have dropped the 145 pilots back to stock 142.5, going to lower the fuel level a touch also. It's not warmed up in this video but it's bumbly rich until the slides start to lift, seems good after that. idle screws back from 3 to 2.5 turns out.

There's a slight unevenness in the idle, like in the 1:20 area, that I think is normal. Interesting thing is if you put a light on it I think you'd notice missing sparks.

There's a slight unevenness in the idle, like in the 1:20 area, that I think is normal. Interesting thing is if you put a light on it I think you'd notice missing sparks.
I will do that, Had a missing sparks earlier cured by the pick up wire repair but haven't looked again. It runs very smooth under power no miss there. Timing is fairly retarded also, firing tdc at idle. I checked and mark agreed with TDC through the plug hole. (double blind method) found TDC in plug hole THEN checked the mark, it agreed, three times. Will slot and adjust timing after I verify the advanced setting "one of these days".

I think the retarded timing could be responsible for that rough idle. It does make the idle more "lumpy" when you retard it. And you're retarded quite a bit, about 15° if you readings were right. I'm surprised it starts and runs as well as it does. I like to run my timing retarded a little, but we're only talking 2° or 3° here. Even that little bit makes the idle lumpier.

You feel the #45 pilot is too rich. If the stock #42.5 turns out to be not quite enough, you might try reducing the pilot air jet 2 steps to a #130. That would probably give you a richness level in between the 42.5 and 45. From my research, that seems to be what they used on the "world" and possibly the Canadian models with the adjustable needles. Here's an excerpt from the Japanese home market parts manual for the 1980 650 .....

oI2avX9.jpg

Last edited:
Put on another 50 miles running it fairly hard, overall I'm happy, just a slight hesitation coming off idle under load feels like one mis-fire then it's good. will try timing next, then stock airboxes instead of the Uni's. then 5Ts air jet reduction. think i can get to those through the airboxes. Blew a side cover off somewhere during the ride, damn it! The rubber grommets were shot, the other side was just barely hanging on.

Bike now has stock air boxes with uni foam on the stock air filter frames, and has happily gotten my wife to work and back daily. Runs about as good as any XS I have ridden.

Last edited:
Jetting tweaked or stock? Ever mess with that air jet?

The driver's side brake light is out in the video. Any idea where the seat cover is from?

Think I'm up one on the mains and pilots and have the washer mod on the taper needles. Kept the stock air jets, as it ran well once the stock air boxes went back on. Rode behind Allison to slimy crud and back, bike smelled a bit rich, will look at the plugs "one of these days". It's due for a second valve clearance check after awakening from a long slumber. at least one is ticking a bit. This has "slightly louder" aftermarket mufflers with steel baffles on 70-73 OE headers.
I think I saw that bulb out and fixed it XJWMX

The 130 air jet might be another way to accomplish what your added shim washer does.

Pulled the plugs when she got home and was surprised it ran as well as it did. One was under .020" Regapped and reinstalled now. Not a plug chop just a look see after she parked it in the garage. Color looks close to me.

DSCN8091.JPG

Back