bs34 floats...?

IMG_20170701_105418_511.jpg
My damn Harley EVO needs nothing EVER.
Well it is at least 17 yrs. younger and apparently doesn't have a Magnetti Morelli EFI. :laugh: But the EVO is a good motor, imho.

Last edited:
My recent experience with BS34 carburetors and fuel level set correctly - I have used the dead cylinder method but I believe it is one of those tests that requires a well tuned ear from experience. I did it as best I could then made the final adjustments by two methods:

1. I warmed the bike up then went down hill with throttle closed. I increased the mixture screws until the popping in the exhaust pipes stopped i.e. no longer lean.
2. Then rode on the open road for about 10 minutes to clean the plugs and returned to the town roads for about 10 minutes and checked the condition of the plugs. Made final adjustments until the plug colour was correct and the same for both.

My final screw settings are 3.25 and 3.75. My replacement caps for the mixture screws are those chrome ends from off the stock XS glass fuses, they fit perfectly, but do not push them all the way in or you will need to drill them again.

I remember your comment about doing that from what 3 YEARS ago?
a thread about foam float height specifically, I started it a few minutes ago.
Yes. Now I'm thinking there may (must?) be a large range that's acceptable for the float height. When I mentioned the difference 1/2mm made I also changed float needles and seats from Mike's to Mikunis. Maybe that had an effect because the bike did go from sounding anemic with easy pinging, to throaty and no pinging. I know there are those who say mixture does not affect pinging, but hey that would be a different mystery...

You said somewhere your float measurement brought the bracket to near-level. And then you needed to raise the floats again to meet the tube measurement, which would have brought it still closer to level. I remember very early on thinking that the way a smart guy would design those floats would be to make that flat part parallel to the flange when the level is correct. Maybe it is so.

The tube test I think comes from Mikuni -- because the same test is used in manuals for diferent BS34 bikes, even different variations of BS34, which there are more than one.

In one of these carb threads you're talking about a tci missing. I've noticed that on my own at idle. I've noticed the sound on another tci xs but didn't have a light on that one to see if it correspondied to a missing spark. I do know it happens with mine on two different boxes, and I just consider it normal. It disappears above idle with mine. If you had a way to get the voltage to 14v at idle you could see if it was related to input voltage. The retarded timing on the same bike will come down to slotting the upper hole in the pickup so you can advance it some.

Last edited:
^Have you discovered an easy method of tang bending from all this?
I've messed around with making a special tool before, but a pocket flat blade screwdriver works as good as anything I've tried. Pry on one side, then the other to keep it parallel to the flange. The stainless on the plastic floats is furshur stiffer than the brass float tabs.

I found that the float tab, once set for 22mm at the upper rounded section, will be about one mm down from the stainless support if you lay the floats down on a flat surface and press down the tab with a large slot screwdriver........and that seems just right, said Goldilocks.....lol.

Wow gggGary ! Only a wizard like yourself could have found that broken wire so easily ! geez makes us mere mortals envious ! LOL
I headed out to do a 45 mile ride today got about 5 miles away turned around and came back home....
it seams my bike has decided to give me a periodic Miss now..... and I suspect that stock fuze box I will be replacing it soon !
i figured I'ed rather put off this ride than have to work on the thing 30 miles in the middle of no-where ! .... I hit a bunch of hard bumps
and it hasn't missed sense so I'm almost positive it's the fuse box ....again !
gott'a get one of those 4 bay bladed fuse holders.... LOL
...... and BTY .... dropping the forks an inch improved the handling quite a bit ! I was even getting into the corners a bit it reminded me how much I liked that ! LOL..... gott'a lower my bars a bit though or re bend them slightly as they make me stretch too much ! ...the curses of being SHORT !!!!!!! HA !

Bob........

Every time you mention handling, I literally LAUGH OUT LOUD. Dude, you still have those ridiculous buckhorn handlebars on there. Change them things already for crying out loud.

Just what is wrong with Rototiller/Buckhorn handlebars!! I love them and they work well without even having to swap my gloves around....

... The Pigeon agrees.

LOL 5Twins well you can't call my handle bars "Buckhorns" anymore I put them in the vice and twisted out the really sharp bend and narrow stance of the bars..... instead of my hands being too close together now...they are just a bit too wide so I gott'a bring them back in about 2" at the ends ! ..... Yes that did make a very large difference in the handling too ! but I found myself having to stretch too much to the opposite side when cornering.... so I gott'a do something with the bars ..... the way the bars are now remind me of the bars I had on the XRL650 Honda,..... really wide ones and sense I'm not dirt riding with this thing a bit narrower would indeed be better ! <GRIN>
...... Yah I know I gott'a be crazy to bend handlebars and not replace them ! everyone has their own opinion ! LOL
Bob.........

Back