BS34 idle mix screw issue, ideas wanted

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
A pair of BS34 bodies showed up in the mail the other day. Both had the idle screws jammed and drilled part way through. I got one out and after I get the right tap to chase the threads, that body will be fine.
But this one....
bs34 easyout.jpg

Still trying to figure the best way to get that snapped off (not so) easy-out out of there.
Throw me a fish boyo's! What's your idea?

Last edited:
Rutrow.... Hardened easy out.... the size of a toothpick..... I got nothin'.. :(

I have grinded away broken easy-outs using tungsten-carbide ball burrs in a Dremel under running water. But yours is too small. BS34 carbs and bodies are plentiful and affordable. Scrap that one and replace.

I am assuming the screw is small, nothing else springs to mind other than making a pilot bush with a hole in it to suit a 2/3/4 mm drill. Drill the stuck screw as deep as is practical, then a L/H tap to suit the hole. Stab in the dark I know.

'Nother long shot.... know anyone with a "delicate" spot welder? Spot weld a small steel shaft on it....

Maybe a small L/Hand drill bit, pilot hole and you know that feeling when you are drilling an already piloted hole and the larger drill grabs, may just pick it up and screw it out.

I have grinded away broken easy-outs using tungsten-carbide ball burrs in a Dremel under running water. But yours is too small. BS34 carbs and bodies are plentiful and affordable. Scrap that one and replace.
You're missing the point here DB!
Welder; yeah been thinking along those lines Jim.
will give a small drill bit a shot but yeah easy out woosh that's some hard shmidt.

I still like my original answer, but if you want to test the limits of what's possible, I like Rasputin's first reply.
I'll point out that the original attempt with the easy-out was not a total hack-job -- that easy out is pretty well centered -- it's not a good sign that it didn't work.
I'm sure that you are aware that high strength drill bits are available in a variety of materials.
index.jpg

This is what I would opt for to make an initial hole. A tungsten-carbide burr that is smaller than or equal to its shaft diameter. Use a pilot bush and plenty of oil, and figure on going through a half-dozen or more before any appreciable depth is achieved.
A welded shaft that will fit where it needs to go will be such a small diameter that it won't be strong enough in my opinion.

Long time ago, I read that some machine shops had a devise that sparked the EZ out away and then the screw could be removed by another method.

From previous experience an easy out is useless here, it expands the soft brass locking it to the carb body even worse than the original problem.

Yeah! was thinking EDM and thinking about my little tig, reverse polarity....
Yeah... touch the tungsten electrode to it and let it stick. The heat transfer might even break the screw loose.

I have done this successfully with screws that were not completely seized in place but worth a shot.
Drown it in penetrating oil and then carb clean it so all the oil is gone.

Drill a hole a bit smaller than the head and about 1/2D depth.

Grab a machine bolt of similar size and choose your strongest epoxy. Dab a little on the end of the machine screw. The thicker the better. Then attach the screw to the head. The hole you drilled will fill with epoxy and give it some grip. Let it dry complete and give it a try. Bad news is if you put too much epoxy it is probably there for good. Little bit of heat will help. The aluminum should expand quicker than the brass.

One possibility is f the surrounding tower, lop it off, cut a slot in the easy out with a dremel cut off wheel. hopefully could get the easy-out to back out of the needle with a screw driver, If I was careful the tower could be JB welded back on.....

Back