BS34 idle mix screw issue, ideas wanted

One possibility is f the surrounding tower, lop it off, cut a slot in the easy out with a dremel cut off wheel. hopefully could get the easy-out to back out of the needle with a screw driver, If I was careful the tower could be JB welded back on.....

that was the first solution that came to my mind too !

cutting , sawing or grinding a slot with a mini grinder or hacksaw would release the compression on the screw and easyout .
Why not use low temperature aluminium welding rod to repair it rather than JB it will be a permanent welded repair then

That looks too good to be true Peanut... still, I'm intrigued. You have any personal experience with those rods?

that was the first solution that came to my mind too !

cutting , sawing or grinding a slot with a mini grinder or hacksaw would release the compression on the screw and easyout .
Why not use low temperature aluminium welding rod to repair it rather than JB it will be a permanent welded repair then

Ah you are thinking a vertical cut. I was thinking about a horizontal slice to remove the tower above the needle so a dremel cut off wheel can get to the easy-out. hmmm

Ah you are thinking a vertical cut. I was thinking about a horizontal slice to remove the tower above the needle so a dremel cut off wheel can get to the easy-out. hmmm

ahh ....... I think I initially favoured a vertical cut because it would immediately release the remains of the screw and easyout but perhaps it couldn't be done without causing damage to the jet orifice ?

Have you tried applying heat from a propane bottle ? if you do a horizontal cut you might be able to cut a slot in the screw or get better access for welding something although I suppose applying heat will make the metal expand and could possibly rupture the aluminium

Looks like the easy out is off to one side a bit...........There are drill bits small enough to go down the side of the easy out 2 or 3 or however many times without damaging the carb thread.......this will release the pressure a bit so other alternatives can be used.

You're right -- an easy out in brass is liable to expand the brass and make the situation worse. Easy out makes anything worse 50/50 in my experience.

I'd try Dogbunny's suggestion to try to grind a deep groove with nice straight walls (easier said than done) for a good screwdriver bit. Some kind of fixture to help you get a nice groove would be good. Then heat the thing almost to melting and try to carefully back it out. I did one a long time ago like that. There was no easy out in it though, and didn't need heat. I carefully creaked it out about 5^ at a time for an hour until it finally turned freely.

Easy out in there could actually be to your advantage since the slot will be harder to strip.

If I had a custom sock dryer I could go longer tween changes...........

yeah gonna buy me one of those for sure :)
Remember, guys, that BS34 carb body ain't aluminum, it's zinc alloy.

yes but low temp aluminium will repair that too and a lot of other pot metals according to the blurb.
I welded a 5mm thick section into a 50 year old aluminium lambretta casing and although it was a first attempt its oil-tight.
case repair finish ext.JPG

errrrrmmmmm bunny...no peanut ....no bunny yes dog bunny ...mm ,....but then again perhaps peanut

argh have to toss a coin lol.

On reflection i suspect dog bunnys method would make it easier to access and remove the screw but peanuts might cause less damage to the thread :)

errrrrmmmmm bunny...no peanut ....no bunny yes dog bunny ...mm ,....but then again perhaps peanut

argh have to toss a coin lol.

On reflection i suspect dog bunnys method would make it easier to access and remove the screw but peanuts might cause less damage to the thread :)
Would be pretty hard to hurt this thread any more than already has been done.. It has sock dryers in for pete's sake!

Ding, ding, ding! Peanut is the WINNER!!!!!
DSCN3881.JPG
DSCN3882.JPG

It just threaded right out, didn't even feel stuck! Easy-out AND threaded portion of jet needle came out together. When I got it the needle was already drilled into two pieces top and bottom and the easy out was broken off flush. Couple taps on the needle tip sticking out into the throat and the bottom section fell out also. Threads are perfect!! Woot Woot! Sorry DB. o_O
Think I'll smear and sand a bit of JBweld to fill the slots, carb body is good to go.

key words
air idle mix BS34 bs34s jet broken easy out slot repair fix carb carburetor screw needle easyout drill brass washer o-ring body broken stripped busted worn brass slot screwdriver screw driver. help what next

Last edited:
Back