BS34 throttle plate and shaft - advice and or parts needed

wally_nd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Working on my 1980 XS and found I had leaking carb shaft seals. Ground down the staked ends of the throttle plate screws but could not get the screws out. I tried drilling out the screws on the right carb and fear I didn't get the drill centered in the screw and will never get the threads clean. Does anyone know where I can find throttle shafts and plates for these carbs? I would like to stay with the same setup as I have some money tied up with new needles,carb boots, unipods etc. I feel like beating my head against the wall right now for being so stupid.. uggg

what is the commonality of the bs34's between years etc? will I have to find 1980 carbs?

Last edited:
The parts you're looking for will be the same on all the 650 BS34s. Yamaha never did list or sell those parts so scrounging good used ones is about your only option. The throttle shafts will probably need to come from 650 BS34s. The length and tabs on the ends have to match. The #135 butterfly plates can be sourced from some other CV carbs from that era. They were used in some XS400 carbs, the XS750 triple carbs, and Suzuki GS400/425/450s from the late '70s and early '80s. There are probably even more but those are the only ones I'm familiar with.

Back