BS38 Bench Sync Idle Adjust Screw Not Engaging

ryamatt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, title should be throttle stop screw, probably not idle adjust screw.

I have another thread going about troubleshooting a dead cylinder on a new build. This is related to that. I have a second set of bs38s I am going to try on the bike to see if the dead cylinder is a carb issue, which is where things seem to be pointing to.

On the second set of 38s I was doing a bench sync and noticed that the throttle stop screw when fully extended does not engage the cable bracket enough to influence the butterfly opening at all. When compared to the other carb set, which adjusts properly, everything appears to be the same including the length of the throttle stop screw. I took the nut, washer, spring and second washer off to see if there was something amiss that the PO may have done, but at least to me, I am not seeing how this could be reassembled incorrectly to cause the stop screw to be ineffective. Any ideas?

Since the stop screw is not working, the left butterfly is completely closed and the stop screw does nothing to give me a small opening at the bottom to bench sync with.

Last edited:
Back