Bs38.....new style or old style?

sonicarb13

sonicarb13
Reaction score
Hey looking for some help! I have a 78' engine on my chop. I cannot seem to get my idle figured out. I put 3000 miles on this bike last year and could not get both cylinders to ever run togather at idle. I'm getting it ready for another season so I went completely thru the carbs and still the same! I run xs performance pods and exhaust headers....no mufflers..... I went up one pilot jet, two mains, and lowered my needle. I bought vs22/210 pilots because of the year but in the garage carb guide I noticed that the later 38's didnt have the brass bypass tube between the slide and the butterfly. Was there any that did? Cause if not the PO may have put on an older set of carbs. Any thoughts?

This link has info on carb types:
http://www.mikesxs.net/tech_tips.html

To get your idle to work, I would do a "dead cylinder" check to set the mixture screws. Use the idle speed screw to lower the speed to only 300 or 400 rpm, then adjust the mixture screw for the highest smoothest idle.

Follow that up with a carb sych check using a manometer
( See "Tech" ...........homemade tools)

Show me some pics and I'll tell you what carbs you have. Specifically, pics of the throttle cable connection(s), float bowl (inside and out), and the intake bell where the air filter mounts.

Back