bs38 or bs34 ?

Scrambled

Motorcycle Man
Reaction score
My '78 came with stock bs38 , the early model ,no factory preset on the idle mixture. I want to squeeze a few more horses out of it , so is it worth while rebuilding and re- jetting them ? Are the bs 34s better ? Can I use them ? Or should I just buy performance carbs ? The bike is running good with the stock 38s, but I am going to be putting an electronic ignition in it, a 2into1 header and free flow muffler, K&Ns irridium plugs , thats about it, just a few bolt on performance bits , no need to tear down engine cause it runs nice (low miles ) .

You have one of the best sets of the 38s, the latest and most refined. The 38s are supposed to make a bit more top end power than the 34s because they're bigger. The 34s are also a nice carb, even more modern than the 38s, but can be harder to tune because they are more E.P.A. strangled. The choice is yours but I wouldn't switch unless my originals were no good.

In your list of proposed mods, don't use K&Ns, get UNI pods instead. They work better, are cheaper, and are easier to tune with.

You have one of the best sets of the 38s, the latest and most refined. The 38s are supposed to make a bit more top end power than the 34s because they're bigger. The 34s are also a nice carb, even more modern than the 38s, but can be harder to tune because they are more E.P.A. strangled. The choice is yours but I wouldn't switch unless my originals were no good.

In your list of proposed mods, don't use K&Ns, get UNI pods instead. They work better, are cheaper, and are easier to tune with.

Good, thanks ! You probably saved me a lot of money and grief . Now all I am going to do is rebuild and rejet. And buy the Uni-pods. I guess I can get more midrange by adding more teeth to the rear sprocket. Should work, I am building a vintage style scrambler.

If you do want to make a carb change and want better midrange, use a '76-'77 set of 38s or the 34s. The '76-'77 38s came with the richest midrange settings (largest needle jet) and make great midrange power. The 34s make good midrange power simply because they're a little smaller. Smaller carbs are better in the midrange but lose some on the top end. Your '78-'79 38s were set up to produce more top end power (larger mains) and as a result, the midrange power is down some.

If you do want to make a carb change and want better midrange, use a '76-'77 set of 38s or the 34s. The '76-'77 38s came with the richest midrange settings (largest needle jet) and make great midrange power. The 34s make good midrange power simply because they're a little smaller. Smaller carbs are better in the midrange but lose some on the top end. Your '78-'79 38s were set up to produce more top end power (larger mains) and as a result, the midrange power is down some.

There is a sweet stock '77 for sale not far from me , it only has 14000 klicks on it and it has been listed on Kijiji for a couple of weeks . Now I am really tempted to buy it (just for the carbs ). The guy is only asking $2000 , I wonder how low he will go ?

My 78 SE was equipped with a 36 tooth rear sprocket as stock. I changed to a 33 for better gearing on the highway. The 36 gave great acceleration around town.

Does your 78 still have a 36? If not, put a 36 on the rear, if you want the quick snappy acceleration.

I want to go even bigger than that . I don't need to go much over 60mph , and I do want my scrambler to have some real off road ability , so I figure somewhere in the 50 tooth range and I should be doing third gear clutch wheelies no problem.

I want to go even bigger than that . I don't need to go much over 60mph , and I do want my scrambler to have some real off road ability , so I figure somewhere in the 50 tooth range and I should be doing third gear clutch wheelies no problem.

Maybe try something around a 40 tooth, you may be surprised just how low a gearing that will give you.

Back