BS38's on 77D - cant buy #25 Pilot Jets - will 27.5 be OK ?

LTGTR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Overhauling my BS38's on my 77D - the original #25 Pilot Jets are so chewed up that I wont risk re-installing them.
I cant buy new ones from Mikes and 650Direct are out of stock. Searching further you guys mentioned Niche Cycles for genuine Mikuni parts. They have the jets I want but the delivery alone is $70 US$ which is around $100 Aus$.
However, I had the forsight to buy 2 carby rebuild kits some time ago and they have 27.5 Pilot Jets in them.
Are they close enough to use under the circumstances. My bike is stock including air cleaners and exhaust.
I did notice the 27.5's have small holes in the side of the jet whereas my #25 as originally fitted dont have any holes.
My understanding (searching lots of posts) is this wont matter because the air is mixed at the top of the jet and not further down the jet via the angled drilling/passageway found on other BS models.
Could you guys check my understanding and some advice please.
Regards Ray.

Right, presence of holes in the shaft of replacement VM22/210 pilot jets won't affect function. It can't hurt to experiment with the 27.5 PJs. If they don't force you to close the mix screws in past 1/2 turn I'd call it good. If the 27.5s don't work you might try to find your jets in local Yamaha, Suzuki, and independent shops.

Last edited:
Try XS650Direct in Canada, they appear to have them in stock. If they can sent them by regular post the cost shouldn’t be too bad. If you’re not in a hurry I’ll see if I have a used pair.

Keep us informed of whether or not the 27.5's work for you. A letter from the US to you is only $1.30 , and I might have a set for you.

The VM22/210 type pilot jet is a very common one used in many different Mikuni carbs, including the VM slide carbs. I would think a local shop should be able to get you some.

Thanks for the helpful replies.
Skull - I talked to Tom at Mikunioz some time ago and he told me (sort of abrubtly) that he has no parts for 38's. What I didnt know was the pilot and main jets he has for the other carbs he sells are the same as the ones I want. Thank you for pointing this out to me.
So I will fit 2 new #25 pilots. At this stage I wont be reporting on the outcome of fitting 27.5's.
Thanks to those who offered to supply me with a pair if I couldnt find any.
Bosco - I get most of my stuff from 650direct - once i forgot to include a small part with my big order and I asked them if they have a way to cheaply send me a small part - no, the same cost as my big order - $44 AUD. (at the moment they are out of stock)
Fantastic forum - allways learning something - Regards Ray.

Back