BUB exhaust

xstim

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see BUB is asking for people to pre-order a 2into2 system. I have heard people say good things about these and are hopefull they are made again.
Does anyone know the diameter of these pipes? I am building a 750 (mikes barrels etc.) I am lookig for midrange more than redline or beyond so I understand a smaller diameter is desireable. It's a Cafe stile build but I am not opposed to the 2-1 look. Any thoughts on the BUB compared to Mikes 2-1 or your favorite...... ?
Cheers

To answer your questions, xstim, the Bub 2-2 is a 1-5/8" pipe. You'd want to use EPO's and TPO's from 650 Central; the TPO's fit at the outlet, and need to be turned down to fit (not a difficult job). I tapped the TPO's for set screws, which are countersunk so that the mufflers slip over them and retain them. If you're concerned about low end/midrange power and cornering clearance on the right side, avoid 2-1 systems. 1-1/2" pipes (MAC or XS Performance) with EPO's would serve you well also; no outlet inserts required with those.

Thanks, Cool bike. You don't see such a performance front end on a hard tail often. I don't think my current project can handle the radical scrambler pipes. Maybe the next one. I have a small quiver of xs's. I need to get going on.

Griz: Thanks for the input. With 1 5/8" head pipes being all similiar (Mikes, Central, and Bub) What are your thoughts on mufflers? I have the longer comandoes from Mikes on a stock bike with 34mm mikunii round slides. Is there a difference with the Bub muffler? I was thinking of longer might be better (Mercury Mike's thinking) trying some triumph or even old Air Head BMW
mufflers. I don't want something restrictive but it seems short is not the best either. I am not sure I am interperating 650 central's ideas correctly. What are your thoughts. Or anyone elses.
Cheers
Tim

Tim, MAC and XS Performance pipes are 1-1/2" OD, not 1-5/8". For what it's worth, I use Emgo 17" megaphones (700 cc's, CR a tad north of 10:1, Shell cam, VM36 carbs, port work, MMM's EPO and TPO inserts in 1-5/8" JEMCO 2-2 pipes which I don't recommend as JEMCO's workmanship was pure butchery). As delivered the Emgo megs lack packing (about a 1" high ring of glass around the base of the baffle), but properly wrapped they do a good job of toning things down. They use smooth-core baffles--a plus as far as flow is concerned.The Bub muffler uses mechanical baffles welded in place. Any of the pipes you've named are long enough to make good power in the low end and midrange.

Back