Build Decisions

Which combo?

• Total voters

FrkyMnky

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Finished up my build last year and once it was done I had some plans on changing things that I am working on now, however im kinda second guessing myself so wanted to see what you guys think.

Here is what it looked like last year. Didnt have a chance to paint it before I left.
IMG_0250.jpg

Bought a DT tank to replace the Sportster tank. Needs some work, and it will not look as good in the tunnel area since the tunnel is wider. I also cannot put it all the way down as the head gets in the way, so it will be mounted with the tunnel off the frame some. Still think it looks better though.

XS650DT250.jpg

Also looking at replacing the mags with Heritage spokes black rim/hub and likely SS natural spokes. The frame and everything mounted will be a satin black and then I am thinking doing the valve and side covers black leaving the rest of the engine natural. Tins will be a dark red/orange/rootbeer type color. Havent decided on that yet.

I was planning on drilling out the mags regardless, but I don't have a way to mill out the entire inside. Trying to keep from going to a machine shop. Im really surprised so many are saying the mags look good. I was expecting most to go for the spokes. I need to get a mock up with them and see how it looks.

I should have expected this. Oh well…

I finished wiring my shed last night so I could get to work on the bike and threw on the triple and forks. The DT tank looks sick. The upper mount is the perfect height to flow right into the upper triple and it rest on the frame at the lower mount. Its pretty close to the engine, maybe 1/4" or so but there should be plenty of clearance. Now I just need to mock up the wheels and go from there. Hell maybe ill keep both and just swap them when I want something different. Its only a few extra bolts.

Why ask for other lads opinions??

I thought the whole idea of custom bikes, was to build something that YOU designed, and is different from the crowd. If it makes you happy, then its a winner!

I don't know squat about custom bikes, but if you are really trying to build something out of the mainstream, you can't use a Sportster tank....................its already been done about a million times.

Why ask for other lads opinions??

I thought the whole idea of custom bikes, was to build something that YOU designed, and is different from the crowd. If it makes you happy, then its a winner!

I don't know squat about custom bikes, but if you are really trying to build something out of the mainstream, you can't use a Sportster tank....................its already been done about a million times.

Honestly because I like the look of both. I like asking others their opinions so I get someone who can step away and give a different perspective.

Have run both. The mags are superior. Tubeless tire Friendly stay true and stronger and easy to clean. It is really not worth changing dollar value. Drill the ones you have. I plan to drill or slot the ones I have. Your bike looks great the way it is or was. The DT tank more tracker than the no frills chopper look you have now. Paint it no need to undo what was done. Get it running battery box wiring, Brakes,lights ect. A shit load of work left to do. Quit procrastinating on the tank paint last years tank. Get er done. :D :thumbsup:

Back