Build Thread - bike workshop

The only reason I have so much pegboard was because I got a great deal on craigslist...

I love pegboard...

You can get crazy with enuff pegboard.
Google "Pegboard cabinet"...

PegboardCabinet01.jpg PegboardCabinet02.jpg

What i don't like about the peg board is it absorbs the light..........great shed though.........shed like that needs white walls

I'm getting inspiration, and ideas, from this thread for my garage, aka 'The Time Sponge'.
I'm definitely going to get some peg board, although I'm looking at the steel peg board that is painted gloss black so maybe won't soak up the light as much?...

I've got three of those in their 20's. Hold on Willis - it gets much easier.
View attachment 106032

Oh, yeah. 2 girls 16 months apart. When they hit puberty, they conspired with their Mom to schedule their monthly visits consecutively. 3 weeks out of the month I lived in my truck...

Oh, yeah. 2 girls 16 months apart. When they hit puberty, they conspired with their Mom to schedule their monthly visits consecutively. 3 weeks out of the month I lived in my truck...
Yes, mine are 14 months apart and full of sass. Also have a 6 year old boy who will soon be learning the fine art of pushing a broom to escape the estrogen wraith.... hoping to get some more painting done tonight.

Got a little distracted with this little fella though....
I have a strong distaste for squirrels, but my wife is an absolute animal lover We found him outside our house Monday night. He and his brother fell from one of our 100' oaks in our yard. Brother didn't make it, but the wife decided we needed to nurse him back to health until we can find someone to take care of him. He'd have certainly died had we not brought him in. Gotta say, for a squirrel he is pretty cute. He's living in a cat carrier inside our garage (NOT MY SHED).

Attachments

• peanut.jpg
    peanut.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 182
Pretty cool willis, the squirrel and the shop. I made a really nice work station for the wife's hobby station(Embroidery) and kinda got jealous of the nice work space she had. My workbench is some 1" Lexan that came from an old store in Detroit that I remodeled years ago. If you've ever seen a cashier in a bullet-proof enclosure you'd know what I'm talking about. I've got stainless on top of that my crap was everywhere. Too many tools in one box and not enough room in my work space. I had only used one piece of benchtop out of two so I used the other piece I had and extended my work bench. Then i took a smaller tool box and moved all of my metric tools away from the SAE. makes things much easier to find and puts them next to where the bikes are. All my upper cabinets are metal and it makes it easy to hang something up for quick access. I just don't put anything on the doors next to the bikes in case a magnet slips.shop1.jpg shop3.jpg

WW - you've done a great job of using a smaller space efficiently - well done!

Like you, I'm working in limited area, but unlike Willis - I don't have my own personal shop rodent.

....at least not one of which I am aware....:yikes:

Made some progress on the new shop . Free time is hard to come by lately. Walls are painted with leftover paint from previous projects. Ceiling still needs redone though. Got the cabinets mounted last weekend along with a few pieces of pegboard. The cabinets are nice steel leftovers from my kitchen remodel 2 years ago. I knew they would come in handy someday. Also mounted 2 halogen spot lamps above the workbench. The pegboard on the long wall is just temporary. Trying to decide how much I want to use. There will be a shelf mounted up above it though to maximize space.

It feels good making progress. I've got an open schedule this Saturday and hope to get some more things moved in. Fingers crossed nothing comes up between now and then.

Attachments

• IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 194
You're getting there Willis , I can almost smell the heady aroma of gas, oil and beer! Keep at her!

I'm jealous, looks great! Problem with having a nice space like that to work in is it's amazing how quick tools, storage and every project you're trying to get to fills it up.

I totally agree with your statement WW. Fortunately I have another storage area in the back of my garage that will be used as a tool room and storage area for non motorcycle related stuff.

Hi Willis: wow - man, you are living the dream of (I’d guess...) about 80% of the folks on this forum!

I’d say that nearly all of,us have a place to work but most of those spots are carved out of something else, often with only grudging agreement from other family members. Our spaces are cobbled together from parts of garages, corners of basements, fallen down leaky garden sheds etc... In contrast, you’re getting the chance to start from scratch with a solid, clean and reasonably spacious facility and man - what I’d give for that opportunity. Anyhow - enough whining - congratulations, keep going, keep building and be sure to put in an extra outlet for a BEvERage fridge and a music system.

Which reminds me......have YOU got one of these?
C8E8A396-BBE5-46DF-A2E1-8CC324A84956.jpeg

Yes boys and girls - it is a 48” long LED light fixture with built-in Bluetooth music system and speakers. It is going up this weekend right over top of where Lucille is parked - and I’ll be listening while I figure out why she is running SO badly.

Toys gentlemen.

It IS about the toys.

Pete

Last edited:
Hi Willis: wow - man, you are living the dream of (I’d guess...) about 80% of the folks on this forum!

I’d say that nearly all of,us have a place to work but most of those spots are carved out of something else, often with only grudging agreement from other family members. Our spaces are cobbled together from parts of garages, corners of basements, fallen down leaky garden sheds etc... In contrast, you’re getting the chance to start from scratch with a solid, clean and reasonably spacious facility and man - what I’d give for that opportunity. Anyhow - enough whining - congratulations, keep going, keep building and be sure to put in an extra outlet for a BEvERage fridge and a music system.

Which reminds me......have YOU got one of these?
View attachment 106916

Yes boys and girls - it is a 48”long LED light fixture with built-in Bluetooth music system and speakers. It is going up this weekend right over top of where Lucille is parked - and I’ll be listening while I figure out why she is running SO badly.

Toys gentlemen.

It IS about the toys.

Pete

Now that's pretty cool Pete. I've never seen one of those before!

Thanks Pete. I am fortunate to have a loving and supportive wife that let me build this area. I saw those lights and almost got some. Instead I went with 4 8' LED lights for $20 a piece from a guy on Craigslist. Building this addition really tapped our funds, so I am re-using and re-purposing as much materials I can. I am also digging out an old Bose sound station we used with our old Iphone4 for the tunes. We already have an adapter chord to allow it to plug into my I-7 phone. This space is well insulated so that should provide ample sound to get the job done. And don't worry about the electrical outlets for the mini-fridge. I've got outlets every 6' on the walls, with 2 quad-receptacles above the workbench as well as 3 more up on the ceiling. I made sure to put plenty of fore-thought in while wiring.

Very cool space Willis. I feel spoiled with my two car garage at the moment, which I gained after a move about 2.5 years ago. Before that my garage work space was a 1920's (?) just bigger than a single car space shack. It had a sliding door on the front that barely was operable and every spring I would have to dig the dirt and junk on the ground to get it to open more than a few inches. It was covered with wood planks which were half rotted in most of the areas and let plenty of natural light in! All the cats used to love my garage, which I not so affectionately deemed, The Cat Shack. You had to pay close attention and take great care when opening the door because the sudden noise would stir all the cats on the "second floor" loft area and sometimes they would jump out of the window just above you. The cats were nice but left large chunks of fur just laying around for me to collect. Perhaps they thought I could use a new sweater or something I don't know. The floor was concrete; at one point in time. But more of it was left in my shop vac when I would try to clean than would be still attached to the actual ground. It made using anything with wheels impossible, unless I used a well placed piece of plywood, which often smelled of cat urine. Everything that wasn't locked away smelled of cat urine, and even still, if there was good ventilation into my drawers or cabinets, it would waft in leaving a near effervescent taste and after thought of, "How much do these cats piss??" when ever you would open up the doors to retrieve anything. The whole place did not make changing transmissions or anything easy that's for sure.

Now, sometimes, I just like to sit in my two car garage, and roll my jack around in amazement. (Ask my wife, I actually really do this). I'd love to have a space like the one your building some day. Keep up the good work. And I would definitely go with the steel peg board, but I would not paint them black, I would probably polish them as any black soaks up more light regardless of the finish. (Maybe a lighter color of paint?

Back