Build Thread - bike workshop

Yes, you need shelves, lots of them, lol. It just amazes me the number of garages/sheds/shops I go into that have no shelves at all.

Shelf brackets can be expensive and the cost can add up quickly if you need lots of them. A nice, low cost solution are these galvanized triple shelf brackets .....

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/crawford-ee-z-ee-shelf-brackets/0000000052625

Once screwed to the wall and to the shelf boards, they are pretty sturdy. I used them to put 2 triple shelf assemblies out in my garage. I scrounged the shelf boards from packing crates at work so it didn't cost me any more than about $20.

Z-brackets! Absolutely.

Spend the quality time getting them straight, horizontal, aligned, one per stud. Use 1.5"-2" wallboard screws, each hole. May need to adjust some bends to get the alignment, straighten some bowing in some of the legs. Once setup straight and aligned, they are remarkedly strong. The alignment ensures equal weight distribution, no overload spots. Short screws in the shelf bottoms, attaching to the horizontal legs, add to the strength.

Not just for the ocassional Styrofoam cup, with good shelving boards these things can handle the weight. I'm talking boxes of metal hardware, bolts, nuts, screws, washers, ...etc.

Mounted on 16" center studs, each shelf compartment is about 15" wide, 11" tall, and can hold up to 40 lbs.

I've installed them in 6 of my different residences. Never failed...

Last edited:
I went every other stud with mine but they're still quite strong. One set has 3 brackets and about 5.5' long shelf boards. The other has 4 brackets and about 8.5' shelf boards. They're both fully loaded and have been for years, lol.

Ahhhh, more progress today!!! I started on my shelving units. I put a lot of thought into it and decided I needed to keep the shelves up high. Since the shop is only 10' wide and 8' ceilings, I felt having a full wall of shelves would really make the room feel a lot smaller. I bought a bunch of black pipe, fittings and flanges along with some 1x8x12 boards. The pipe comes down 18" from the ceiling and out 18 inches from the wall. I ran it 20' down one wall. It's very solid and still leaves the room feeling pretty open. I then mounted some sheets of peg board underneath.

I also got some more painting done, but still need to repaint the ceiling. The leftover grey paint I used almost has a purple hue to it. So I broke down and bought a gallon to match the wall paint. I also built some filler panels for above the cabinets with some 2x3 boards and painted black to match the cabinets. Also painted under the workbench black since I had plenty leftover.

I've got most of the day available tomorrow, so hope to build a secondary workbench at the other end for a drillpress, bench grinder and vice. Also be nice to start moving some other stuff in from my garage too. Progress feels good!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1387.JPG
    IMG_1387.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 239
This thread really got me going on my own space. cleaning out clutter, organizing tools and labeling things. Thanks willis!

willis, we're almost neighbors. What about heat for the winter? Insulation, LP line are on my mind for my shop right now. I have a ventless heater and a LP mobile home furnace, I could use either one, just need to do the plumbing and sort out the regulator.

Scott

Scott, I've noticed your location before. Where about are you in Michigan? Cold water area? The shop is well insulated but I have not made any provisions for heat. I will likely get a small electric space heater to make do.

More progress today! FINISHED PAINTING... oh how I hate painting. I decided to paint the pegboard that is mounted under the shelves the same color since I had a little left over. I think it makes the space feel bigger since it blends with the walls. Also finished up my shelving units for now and ready to start using them. I did not build the secondary workbench yet. I think I will wait until I actually buy the drill press and bench grinder so I can build it to size. That and I got side tracked with yard work too. I'm so F'ing tired of picking up walnuts!!!!

Next phase is to start moving stuff in. I have a large medical cabinet that I store all my flammables in. It has sliding glass doors and comes in very handy for storage. I need to buy some pegboard accessories to hang tools on. Also need to put some personal touches on it with some artwork. Sorry no pictures today. Will get some once I start getting moved in.

Scott, I've noticed your location before. Where about are you in Michigan? Cold water area? The shop is well insulated but I have not made any provisions for heat. I will likely get a small electric space heater to make do.

South of Hillsdale, we're almost Buckeyes. My wife works in Angola. We rarely even pay any Michigan sales tax and mostly drive Ohio and Indiana roads.

Scott

Been side tracked with some sickness lately, but I’m back up and running. I spent the better half of yesterday and today cleaning out my 2 car garage and the tool room in back. Holy shit I think I might be a hoarder! I went crazy throwing stuff out, it was definitely time to purge. I promised my wife she would be parking in the garage again before Monday. Something she hasn’t been able to do in almost 4 months.

We turned my former parts stash room into a dedicated lawn and garden tool room in the back of our garage. It’s a decent area, kind of L shaped and about 8’x11’. It already had peg board up so it was more just a clean out and re-organize. I built my wife a little work area and threw up another sheet of pegboard and some lights in the garage since I had them laying around. It will be her little craft area. I also removed an old workbench, cut it down about a foot and moved it into my new workshop. It’s now 5’L x 2’D and will now be home to a bench top drill press, bench grinder, and vice. I just need to find a good used drill press now. I will be a good little work area away from my main workbench.

I also found some old pictures I had and an old clock that my deceased best friend gave me years back. Trying to add a little personality to the room as well. I’ve still got a lot of organizing left to do, as well as cleaning up to get my Harley parked in here as well. All in all I am very pleased with the progress so far.

CF268E7E-8807-4B96-96D8-01E2605EFD3E.jpeg
AA7DE33D-494C-4F94-858D-F7A21B67DE2E.jpeg
B01FE032-3856-4576-838C-530A42757E91.jpeg
2D502A73-07F4-42B4-BE61-5D0221218ABA.jpeg

It looks like a terrific place to work on your hobbies and spend some quality time Willis!

Glad you’re feeling better.

Pete

Well, it is with a bitter-sweet sadness that I am saying goodbye to my nice little workshop. It's been almost 2 years since I built it, but the time has come to move on. I absolutely loath moving, but my wife and I have decided to sell our beloved house in the city and pack it up and head for the country. It is amazing how much stuff you can accumulate in such a short time. Yesterday I spent a good bit of time packaging items in totes as best i could. I've got parts from 3 different bikes that I am trying to keep organized. We won't be moving for at least another 30 days, but we are trying to get ahead of the game and have as much pre-packed as possible.

All is not lost though. There will be an oversized 2 car garage along with a 3rd bay measuring 13x16 with 10' ceilings. Unfortunately I will also be sharing this 3rd bay with a large riding mower and yard/garden tools too. It is going to be interesting to say the least and will put my organizational skills to the test. I will definitely need to downsize my fleet , which my loving wife has been on me about for a while anyhow. As I said before, I loath moving! I am sure it's going to take quite a bit of time to get situated again and then have to start building my workshop all over again. But at least this time I have a little more experience in planning and setting up a workshop.

So stay tuned for Bike Workshop build version 2.0........

I feel your pain Willis. I too left a work shop that I absolutely loved , only I moved into a SMALLER space! Not only smaller, but I also lost a backyard shed that held all of my lawn and garden tools, so that all had to go inside the garage also. You’ll get there. I’ll show you this, anytime I take photos inside my garage when I’m working, the cars are outside. This is its natural state when I’m not working out there. 2 cars and two motorcycles in a 2 car garage! This is why I limit myself to 2 motorcycles.
C96FED91-1495-49B3-88EF-EAD9DC542164.jpeg
77D58D68-BB6D-4604-A95D-470E6459D3C5.jpeg

But you are certainly going to have your hands full for the next couple months. Keep us posted with progress photos when you start on your shop, that’ll be exciting!

Back