Build Thread - bike workshop

It's a good move for sure. We are going from a 90 year old historic house in the city to a 6 year old house on 4.5 acres in the country. Just the amount of time i will save working on an old house SHOULD allow me some more shop time. I've got some good ideas for storage i'm working on too. There should be ample room in the oversize garage to store the bikes, and then dedicate the 3rd adjacent bay to an all around workshop. Having the high ceilings in there will allow me to have a lot more floor space too. I just might have to move the mower in and out from time to time. Eventually... maybe a pole barn... But that is a long ways off, and I won't be so lucky to have a tree fall to finance that one !!! But like you said, the next couple of month are going to be tough.

I feel your pain Willis. I too left a work shop that I absolutely loved , only I moved into a SMALLER space! Not only smaller, but I also lost a backyard shed that held all of my lawn and garden tools, so that all had to go inside the garage also. You’ll get there. I’ll show you this, anytime I take photos inside my garage when I’m working, the cars are outside. This is its natural state when I’m not working out there. 2 cars and two motorcycles in a 2 car garage! This is why I limit myself to 2 motorcycles.
View attachment 143867 View attachment 143868

But you are certainly going to have your hands full for the next couple months. Keep us posted with progress photos when you start on your shop, that’ll be exciting!
Heck, kick the cars out, Bob !
They were engineered to deal with weather.
Then you'll have room for 5 more bikes.

Modern passenger cars are just boxes of plastic, metal and rubber, ready to disintegrate in the sun.
An expanding collection of vintage bikes fulfills the soul.
The wife will learn to deal with them.
Stay strong.

Last edited:
As the One with The Tools, you're The King of The Castle, after all.;)

That's true...my wife said it was okay...:sneaky:

I'm just now getting my garage back. For the last 3 months it's been full to the rafters of my Grandson's stuff while they waited for the closing on their new (to them) house. Hopefully he'll be back tomorrow with his 14' trailer and between that and my 18 footer, we should be able to get everything out! Wooooooooo.

garage.jpg

I've probably posted this before, but I built a 4 door garage back around '91 or '92. Best money I've ever spent. Left to right, 1st bay is brother-in-law's parking spot, 2nd is for our car, 3rd is for general mechanical work and lawn equipment in the summer and blowsnowers in the winter, last bay closest to the house is my woodworking shop.

mechshop.jpg

Truck still sits out in the weather. While being used as a U-Stuff-It storage facility, EVERYTHING sat out in the weather. Except the modersickel of course. I mean, there are limits!

We do love our garages don’t we? I’m out in mine working on something or another almost daily. I had a neighbor walk by , whom I hardly even know , say to me “You’re always out in the garage!” Well yeah.....:shrug:

There’s a couple of guys that will pop in once in a while. One of them told me , whenever I see the cars in the driveway I know you’re working on your motorcycles. :D

You guys should be on www.garagejournal.com. It's FULL of drool-worthy garages, organization ideas, budget builds, singles, and everything else you can imagine!!! These threads would go PERFECT over there!

@willis I love the looks of your '78 Special! Any chance you've a build thread of that one? I'm going to do the exact same thing ot my ya-mama pipes! What bars are on there?

Bars are a #10 flat track bend. Very comfortable and wide. No real build thread but I can offer you whatever details you want to know. Feel free to DM me if you do.

You guys should be on www.garagejournal.com. It's FULL of drool-worthy garages, organization ideas, budget builds, singles, and everything else you can imagine!!! These threads would go PERFECT over there!

I checked that site out once years ago. I immediately blocked it, it gives me such a wicked case of garage envy I can't sleep! Those garages are nicer (and cost more...) than my house!

I checked that site out once years ago. I immediately blocked it, it gives me such a wicked case of garage envy I can't sleep! Those garages are nicer (and cost more...) than my house!

Some certainly are. There are PLENTY of humble shops too! Single bays, beginners looking for to expand their skills, budget builds (one such example: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335318), etc.

These are 2 of my favorites:
44 Bikes Frame Shop - https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112578
Mid-Century Moto Mecca Makeover - https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185104

That's true...my wife said it was okay...:sneaky:

I'm just now getting my garage back. For the last 3 months it's been full to the rafters of my Grandson's stuff while they waited for the closing on their new (to them) house. Hopefully he'll be back tomorrow with his 14' trailer and between that and my 18 footer, we should be able to get everything out! Wooooooooo.

garage.jpg

I've probably posted this before, but I built a 4 door garage back around '91 or '92. Best money I've ever spent. Left to right, 1st bay is brother-in-law's parking spot, 2nd is for our car, 3rd is for general mechanical work and lawn equipment in the summer and blowsnowers in the winter, last bay closest to the house is my woodworking shop.

mechshop.jpg

Truck still sits out in the weather. While being used as a U-Stuff-It storage facility, EVERYTHING sat out in the weather. Except the modersickel of course. I mean, there are limits!
Your garage needs an XS650.

Garage 2.0.......
Well we finally made the big move today. The Mrs And I have been hauling loads of boxes all weekend in our vehicles, along with a borrowed 16’ trailer to move a lot of my shop supplies, bench, and shelving units. Today was the moving company doing the big stuff. This is the first time I’ve ever paid anyone to move me, and am I glad I did! Especially when it came to moving a piano into the basement. I’m just shy I’d 45 yrs old with 3 kids at home. Boy do we ave a lot of shit! We filled a 26” box truck top to bottom, front to back along with another 16’ truck. And it was hotter than balls today too. Still not done, but feels good making progress. Anyway. A few shots of what I’m dealing with. First pics are Friday when we took possession.
E4D241B9-252C-45B0-9940-A24ED7FDE482.jpeg 274E6D31-D4C9-419E-8E14-C21B17CD67AB.jpeg

And after moving in today....
52D4F089-2A04-4FEC-8966-5094DF3B3ADF.jpeg 089C979A-32CF-4B88-940E-CFBFEAD3F4D8.jpeg

And I still have to find a place to park my Harley. I’ve got a lot of work to do boys.... so, should I keep posting in this thread on the new shop build, or start a 2.0 version?

Back