Build thread - RobinC’s 1973 TX650 by TotalFool

MaxPete

Lucille, Betty, Demi, Gretel & Big Sue money pits.
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All:

I just got off the phone with my good friend John (aka TotalFool) who has taken on task of resurrecting the 1973 TX650 that had been owned by the late RobinC. John lives in the same city as Robin (London, ON) and is a retired civil engineer. He is biker from way back and has a good deal of experience with old British sports cars and reports that working on the TX650 is much easier than a musty-rusty old MG / Triumph etc.

John has already made great progress in getting the bike back in shape - but I will let him tell you all about that when he posts later today.

Let me just say that, the poor old TX was in rather rough shape when John, Lakeview and I got it out of RobinC’s garage. Robin had bought the bike as a project - and it certainly is. Here is a partial list of the status when we got it:
  • engine seized
  • wheel rims rusty
  • front brake seized
  • fork tubes - badly pitted
  • Instruments roached
  • tins rusty with bad paint etc.
  • petcocks - very bad
  • exhaust - rusty but ....possibly serviceable:
  • fenders - badly corroded (likely not usable)
  • wiring....YUK!
I am posting this thread for John because I am encouraging him to post a list of parts he needs (largely the fenders, instruments and possibly a wiring harness) plus a proper side stand. My guess is that somebody out there has one or more of the parts that John needs to get this nice old bike back on the road.

John will posting a complete list of the needed parts in this thread later this evening.

Here’s the thing: I am going to the Vintage Yamaha Rally in North Carolina in a couple of weeks and so if anyone has the right parts - AND - is attending that event, I can pay for, and pickup the parts there and save everyone a lot of hassles with shipping etc.

If you have applicable parts but are NOT attending the VYR, I have a US shipping address which, again, might help make this easier.

So - when considering what parts you might have for an early bike - please include John and I in your thinking.

Cheers all,

Pete

Last edited:
Cheers to you and TotalFool for keeping RobinC's spirit alive! It'll be a great legacy bike! And I'm sure you'll get a ton of (hopefully donated free) parts for John to pull this off. I don't have to remind you the importance of PICTURES! documenting the rebirth of such a fitting tribute. Best of luck, and best wishes,
Tebo

Here it is finished and sold to someone who will keep it unmodified.

Attachments

• 20220815_110800.jpg
    20220815_110800.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220815_110735.jpg
    20220815_110735.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 58
Back