buildin' me a tracker

Pre- more questions. I note that you did not grind off the brackets on the frame that were for the knobs holding on the stock side covers . Had you intended to use them for the number plates or some other purpose? Any thoughts on what the new project will be? Whatever it is, I think there is gang out here looking forward to another well documented build.

Pre- more questions. I note that you did not grind off the brackets on the frame that were for the knobs holding on the stock side covers . Had you intended to use them for the number plates or some other purpose? Any thoughts on what the new project will be? Whatever it is, I think there is gang out here looking forward to another well documented build.

Damn you guys are really paying attention! :D but you're absolutly right, originally I was thinking 'bout using those to mount the number plates. as far as the next deal, I have no idea. One thing I can tell you is it won't be a cafe, or a bobber, or a chopper. Got to do something totally off the wall. I think. Or maybe not. Fuck I don't know. Thanks tho. stay tuned.

You should build one like this.

Attachments

• cb48_lvw4.jpg
    cb48_lvw4.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 211
:wink2:Old Dude if Pre builds one like that, I will be visiting him with a couple of my cousins from East Belfast and give him some guidance in good taste and his tolerance of pain levels

Pre, just a guess here. Your next project will float or fly or perhaps have more than two wheels.Anuther?- when you whacked off the coil mount, did you already have in mind what coil(s) you were going to use and how to mount them? I,m looking forward to using Pamco and Hugh's PMA system. It looks like there is plenty of room under Omar's glass tank for mounting whatever coils are appropriate for these items. My project BTW is a '78 Special with point ignition.

Dave, by the post on Leslie's
"Here in the SF Bay Area we call them the NY Giants!"
and
" yup, we have a similar situation here, they're called Raider fans."
I'm going to assume your're a Niners fan." I grew up in Sacramento and used to be a big niners fan, but now I live in Baltimore. Good luck, I wouldn't mind seeing the niners dot it:laugh:

Anyway, nice bike I've read your whole thread and am doing one myself, if any of my stuff resembels your's I apologize, but it's just the way it's sippossed to be done.

Dick

Dick,
I have plagiarized things also from Pre's build.

I just think he has got it right and it is a good clean build and beautiful now it is finished !!!!!!.

Have you started yours yet and are you posting pictures on here if so where.

Best of Luck Leslie

Dave, by the post on Leslie's
"Here in the SF Bay Area we call them the NY Giants!"
and
" yup, we have a similar situation here, they're called Raider fans."
I'm going to assume your're a Niners fan." I grew up in Sacramento and used to be a big niners fan, but now I live in Baltimore. Good luck, I wouldn't mind seeing the niners dot it:laugh:

Anyway, nice bike I've read your whole thread and am doing one myself, if any of my stuff resembels your's I apologize, but it's just the way it's sippossed to be done.

Dick

Yes, I'm a 'niner fan. After last night I'm stoked. Any cheeseheads here? Neener neener neener!

And I'm following your build so you better watch your step!:D

Pre, just a guess here. Your next project will float or fly or perhaps have more than two wheels.Anuther?- when you whacked off the coil mount, did you already have in mind what coil(s) you were going to use and how to mount them? I,m looking forward to using Pamco and Hugh's PMA system. It looks like there is plenty of room under Omar's glass tank for mounting whatever coils are appropriate for these items. My project BTW is a '78 Special with point ignition.

I had an idea 'bout the coil, nothing concrete but I knew that bracket would be in the way no matter what. It's a little tight under there but roomy enough for a single coil.

Leslie, isn't plagarism the highest form of compliment? Sounds like you reside near the locale of the Robin Hood legend. Any photos of your build?

Leslie, isn't plagarism the highest form of compliment? Sounds like you reside near the locale of the Robin Hood legend. Any photos of your build?

Beemer,
I live in the Village of Ollerton in the center of Sherwood Forest (Whats left of it).

I hail from a big city and i found it a bit daunting when my clan moved here when i was a kid.

But now I would not move anywhere else in the world, I can walk for 5 minutes from my front door with my Border Terriers and be in the Woods/Forest.

We are a small Cosmopolitan Island with a lot of occupants some of which are actually British, so space is of a premium.

I am also 60 miles from the coast and a 20 minute drive from the pennines .

If you or any of my American cousins are ever over here I will take you for a brief tour LOL and even get the beers in.

Leslie

Thanks Pre! I'm stressing about the coil mounting. What coil did you wind up using? Having ground off the little peg for the rear brake spring and having to weld it back on (sound familiar?), I'm really careful with the angle grinder. By the way your welds look nice. Mine have been described as pigeon shit or boogers.

Last edited:
Leslie, being retired travel is in the plans. Could very well show up to check out your shop and build. BTW your Duchess of Cambridge is hot. Duchess of Cornwall not so much.

Thanks Pre! I'm stressing about the coil mounting. What coil did you wind up using? Having ground off the little peg for the rear brake spring and having to weld it back on (sound familiar?), I'm really careful with the angle grinder. By the way your welds look nice. Mine have been described as pigeon shit or boogers.

I used the Pamco ignition (which I HIGHLY recomend) with the Ultimate high output coil from Mike's XS, p/n 17-6903. Here it is mounted. I used plumbing pipe ground clamps, worked great (not my idea by the way).

trackercoil.jpg

Pre, thanks for the photo. Looks like a very sanitary installation. Yet another?.... In one of your photos of the 1/2 mile pipes installed, it appears the the kick start lever has little, if any clearance on the down stroke. Was this any kind of issue for you? Obviously if it was, it got resolved. Also, after powdercoating, did you have any issues with any tight clearances, such as in the swingarm installation or motor mounts? OK, OK, thats 2 questions.

No problem with the kickstarter, close on the rear brake lever. The only problem I had with the powdercoating was the swingarm. Had to sand it down to metal where the bushing seated.

swingarmbush001.jpg

Thanks again Pre. Do you have any idea how much grief you save people building a streetracker? BTW, looking at my frame and some of the factory welds, my welds ain't so bad after all. I look at the tig work on the frame of my Montesa trials bike and am in awe of the welding work. Very slight imperfections indicating a steady hand rather than a robot.

Back